Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone found something that should not be cooked sous vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone found something that should not be cooked sous vide?

Starting to experiment and I don't want to repeat others mistakes...

I don't think that there's such a thing.

Comment

Pets...

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen pet chickens, pigs, fish, and even a cow or two. Might need to rethink this one

For meat, I'll go with bark, as you'll loose some, maybe a lot. I have (almost) zero experience with sous vide but from posts I've read, I would sous vide, then smoke and bark it up. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I respect other's opinions and experience.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed... Sous vide first and then smoke! I've done it both ways and SV first is much, much better in my opinion.

Something that shouldn't be cooked sous vide? Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind is a marshmallow or maybe a smore?

Comment

Sushi, sashimi, and rice.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          You can cook rice sous vide.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Should have been more specific: sushi rice with all the stirring, vinegaring, and fanning that is required. How's that for weasel-wording?

Beets. But they shouldn't be cooked by any method. They should be tossed away......

Comment

Originally posted by Yno View Post
          Beets. But they shouldn't be cooked by any method. They should be tossed away......
          Toss them my way! Love me some beets! good for you too...

Comment

oranges

Comment

Hollandaise and Bernaise sauce... It much better and faster to do it on the stove.

Comment

Ice Cream!!!!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spin, You just Stole my Thunder! We have a local Mexican Restuarant that serves Mexican Fried Ice Cream?
                  It is a ball of Vanilla Ice Cream deep fried (until the outside crystallizes) then Topped with Warm Honey! Ruins
                  my Diet but delicious! Mexican Village 2-Locations in Fargo. 👍👍👍👍👍 Dan

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh god yeah. Fried Ice Cream is the best thing ever. Combines my love of Dairy products with the fryer. What could go wrong!?!?! Danjohnston949

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually making the custard base for homemade ice cream is super easy sous vide and the only way I will do it.

Toast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here