Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide and Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide and Smoke

I've seen some general comments but not a whole topic on this. I'm currently sous vide some short ribs (48 hours) at 144F. Plan on cooling them down, apply rub, and then throwing on PBC. Not 100% sure if I should think about freezing them so they don't overcook on smoker? Has anyone tried something similar?

David Parrish recently did some corned ones for pastrami, exact same principle cook-wise for this discussion. Let's see what he can offer when he gets a minute...

Comment

In reviewing his short rib pastrami cook, I remembered one crucial point- he did the opposite. He smoked it, then didthe sous vide. Check out the article for his details, aside from the seasoning differences between regular short ribs and pastrami ones, you could replicate what he did there.

Comment

Yeah, I was doing some research and came across the smoke first, sous vide second method. Well, I have two SNF short ribs as well as a rack of baby backs sitting in the bath. I'll cool them and then smoke and will report back.

Comment

If they are tender enough all you have to do is sear.

Comment

Thanks Jerod, I'm going for both tender and crusty/smoky. I've done short ribs before, brushed with some soy/hoisin and fired under the broiler which are ridiculous. But not the same as true smoke. Just wanting to see if it makes a big difference or even can be done

Comment

Can't say I have much to offer at this point but keep me posted with pics on how things turn out!

Comment

Hmmm... I'm just learning SV cooking too. So what I say is just conjecture.

It seems to me that smoking first and then putting it in the vacuum packed bag, then in the bath tub, would wreck any bark, smoke flavor or color you've worked to build on the surface of your meat.

The meat out of the smoker still has lots of moisture in it. By vacuum packing it and putting in the hot water bath you will extract more moisture and that will wash off your smoke flavor... No?

It seems to me that SV first to only about 60% of the internal temp you want to finish with would give you enough time in the smoker to build some bark and smoke flavor.
                Last edited by Breadhead; March 26, 2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead , I smoked my recent "test brisket", then SV and yes, bark mostly dislodged, minimal smoke flavor, black bark > brown, and ton's of liquid in the SV bag when done. Lesson learned! YMMV.

So far have had it on PBC for 2 1/2 hours and looking pretty good.Internal temp of the short ribs are 160F. Probably don't need to take it all the way to 200F ish since it is already cooked in the SV.

Comment

Ok, just 20 minutes later and internal up to 180F. Really start to move now and looking even better. Starting to pull back off the bone.

Comment

I'm sold, sous vide then smoke

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beautiful. Well done!

This the the brisket I did sous vide and then smoked. I followed chefsteps.com recipe for the brisket and then smoked to a good bark. Best brisket Ive ever made.

Comment

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      bpf120 so, did you only smoke it to get a good bark and didn't worry about the tenderness (because it was already tender from the SV)? Do you remember the finishing temp (if it mattered at all)?

• bpf120
                      bpf120 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      scottranda I just smoked till I liked the bark. I think it was 3-4 hours. I didn't worry about tenderness. I can't remember the finish temperature. Meathead would yell at me because I'm terrible about keeping good cooking logs.

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks bpf120 So, my plan is 154 degrees for 24 hours in SV. Chill in fridge, then smoke for 3-4 hours to get good bark with a basic S&P rub.

Nice bark indeed.

Comment

So cosmo , please: Approx how long was your total time on the PBC and to what IT did you decide to take it, please? Thanks and belated congrats.
                      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 3, 2016, 01:30 PM. Reason: @cosmo added

Comment

I'm a little late to the party, but …

I've found that if I do a sear PRIOR to the Sous Vide step, then put in the Sous Vide, and then I finish with a sear, I get a very nice flavor when all is said and done. On smokes, I'll put on 2 hours of smoke, then Sous Vide, and then finish with an hour of smoke at the end, things work out quite nicely.

That said, I still prefer smoking a brisket or butt completely on the Komodo Kamado.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                          HorseDoctor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do agree! Somehow doing the whole shebang in the smoker just seems more "manly". LOL!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here