Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Sous Vide to rewarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Sous Vide to rewarm?

Since getting the Anova Precision Cooker, I've spent some time perusing the Anova site (link below).

I've not found any mention of reheating cooked, vacuum sealed food! Seems to me that this method is ideal for that use.

Took a perfect test to try out of the freezer this morning -- two slices of stuffed pork loin. I'm unclear as to temperature to set the Anova and the time required to reheat.

Any ideas?

ServeSafe recommends any leftovers be heated to 165 F. How long would depend on how thick they are.

Comment

• DSiewert
      DSiewert commented
      Editing a comment
      This doesn't make sense. I'm not going to reheat beef tenderloin to 165 when I originally cooked it to 134 and then seared it. Generally, with sous vide, you'd reheat to the temperature that you originally cooked/served it at.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      May not make sense, but that's their recommendation for safe reheating of food that's been cooked and then refrigerated.

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Reheat food to 140d as fast as possible keep food from the bacteria zone. I am serve safe certified

Thanks -- 2 slices about 3/4 inch each. I think I'll set it on 165 and see if it takes longer than 30 minutes. Can't thermopen it without breaking the seal!

Comment

Reheating works fine. In fact, that's why sous vide was invented - to initially cook then reheat without breaking the seal. The 165f temp assumes you are reheating food that has been opened. If it has been sous vided long enough to pasteurize and left sealed, then you can reheat cooler if you want, say for a medium rare steak.

Comment

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
        Thanks -- 2 slices about 3/4 inch each. I think I'll set it on 165 and see if it takes longer than 30 minutes. Can't thermopen it without breaking the seal!

Click here for that problem....

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Thermoworks is an amazing company.

CandySueQ ... Reply to your post #3

For anything that I put liquid in the bag I don't vacuum seal it. I use a zip-lock bag instead and use the immersion method of forcing the air out of the bag.

I would use that method for frozen meat to reheat it too. That allows you to open the bag to check the IT with your Thermapen and if it's not to your desired temp you can just reseal the zip-lock bag and continuing cooking.

Comment

Comment

The reheat worked very well considering I couldn't quickly figure out how to go from C to F! Ended up at about 180 to reheat, didn't take but about 30 minutes. I do like the zip lock idea better. I had some boneless chicken thighs that I sprinkled with Cavenders and put in a baggy. They cooked well too. Chicken salad tomorrow! This is a fun device. Going to try this tonight: Raspberry Cordial
            Use some of the juicy, abundant raspberries to make your own summer cordial. Using a sous vide means that you can drink it tonight instead of waiting weeks for it to infuse in your cabinet. The low heat of the sous vide preserves the bright raspberry flavor while reducing the infusion time over the traditional method.
            Ingredients for 16
            2 cups (246 g) fresh raspberries
            2 cups (400 g) sugar
            3 cups (709 ml) vodka
            Directions
            Step 1 – Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 135ºF (57ºC).
            Step 2 – Add the raspberries and sugar to a plastic zip-seal bag and close. Mash the berries into the sugar by squeezing the sealed bag with your hands.
            Step 3 – Open the bag and add the vodka. Close again, place in sous vide, and cook for 2 hours.
            Finishing Steps
            Let cool to room temperature, then strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl with a pour spout. Pour into bottles, cover with a lid and store in the refrigerator.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man, this sounds good! Never thought about using sous vide to speed up an infusion. I may have to try this with my jalapeño infused tequila.

CandySueQ ...

Try making eggs Benedict with your new toy.

Set your bath water at 167°. Put the eggs in (in the shell) and let them cook for 13 minutes. While they are cooking make the hollandaise sauce, heat up the Canadian bacon and toast the English muffins.

Comment

There's sous vide recipe for hollandaise sauce made sous vide too on the Anova site! That's a worthy meal you've pictured there.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm cooking that breakfast for 20 people tomorrow morning.👌

That was a trial run.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Hollandaise sauce is very easy using a sauce pan and a mixing bowl. I can have it done in 5 minutes. It would take longer than that to get the water bath heated up.🤔

Plus hollandaise is the base sauce for Bernaise sauce.😆

CandySueQ ...

This is my go to website for Sous Vide cooking.

They have nice charts for temperature & times.

Comment

Sous-what now?

Comment

Runaround Sous...

Comment

So I just jumped on the sous vide bandwagon with a new-to-me Anova One. Polyscience has a nice iPad app for figuring times and temps. I'll see how accurate it is.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      carolts ...

You're going to have lots of fun with your new toy. I'll bet within a couple of months you will order another one.👍

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
                    Since getting the Anova Precision Cooker, I've spent some time perusing the Anova site (link below).

I've not found any mention of reheating cooked, vacuum sealed food! Seems to me that this method is ideal for that use.

Took a perfect test to try out of the freezer this morning -- two slices of stuffed pork loin. I'm unclear as to temperature to set the Anova and the time required to reheat.

Any ideas?

The temperature you would use for the water bath would be your preferred serving temperature. In the case of Pork Loin that would probably be somewhere between 140F and 155F depending on if you like your pork a juicy medium or a more traditional well done. Hotter than that and you're overcooking it.

As for time, that could be about as long as it took to cook it originally. Since it's already fully cooked and all you want to do is re-therm it - presumably before finishing it on a hot grill, oven or pan - I'd say at least an hour to bring the frozen center back to serving temperature.

The key concept of sous vide cooking is that it is low and slow. Doneness is a function of temperature and not time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here