Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to sous vide this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to sous vide this

Tender chuck roast 2 inches thick, I'm going to sear over some hot coals after the sous vide.
    Attached Files

24 hours. You can go 48 if you want.

Comment

Finally Jerod has normal USA beef prices!

Comment

It'll be even more tender after 48 hours! Yum!

Comment

Good deal. Huskee this is normal for this cut. Briskets are too high at $2.46/lb.

Comment

Be careful though, longer doesn't always equate to tender. That piece looks lean. I'd do 135 degrees for 24 hours.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              It is pretty lean like sirloin. How about 130 for 36 hours??

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Feel it at 24 hour mark before you go on to 36.

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha...Thanks.

OK I figured it out. I stopped by the commissary on base yesterday and picked up 3 chuck roasts that I wasn't shopping for. But the price and your post got me to thinking and I succumbed to my latent desire for more meat! First question: what did you use for dry brine? Next: BBBR before sous vide or after before smoking? Next: As I do not intend to use as pulled, how long the sous vide and at what temp? BTW I haven't forgotten the brisket, it'll be done after I get this hummer working-the value of having two ANOVA sticks. Hahaha.

Comment

That looks like a full blood chuck that could probably take 48 hours at 130-135. freddh

Mine was still a little tough this morning at 24 hours at 130.5, so I turned it down to 125 since I have an unexpected shift at work tonight due to a major mechanical function last night. Mine is much more lean than that one you have.

Comment

OK both inputs proved to be valuable. Thanks. However the dry brine remains a mystery. Ingredient(s)?

Comment

OK fellas now I'm armed for bear. Thanks so much. Great information, the reason I joined The Pit Forum-money well spent!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Good deal. I'm about to check mine and decide what to do.

Searing now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah, that's a gorgeous hunk 'o meat! Did you use any rub?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  No. Just dry brine. I have it sliced and separated into individual lunch baggees.

Beef flavor galore!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Well folks I'm better than six months into my SNS journey. As always, cueing is a learning process. First this sucker worked well right out of the box, congratulations to a fine product!! I've also been working with sous vide cooking and finishing on the grill. Before anyone suggests that you cannot get good 'cue from sous vide and SNS, tell 'em to tell that that to Meathead from Amazing Ribs. He proved that it works. In any case my latest is a Wagyu brisket flat (didn't want to ruin a point) that I cooked in a sous vide bath fit 48 hours at 132F. I chilled overnight and put it on the grill with the SNS. I've attached a few photos of the project and will say that it produced a terrific product, both in looks and taste. The latter was verified by a friend and his wife the next day. I finished as a pit cooked brisket by wrapping in foil, a towel and placed in a cooler for about 3 hours ( I took a nap). The results are attached. And as you can see, it wasn't dried out as the meat was both flavorful and juicy. Again, hats off to Adreniline SNS, Pitmaster Gorim, Jerod Broussard, et al. BTW. I only used 1/2 the flat for the grill and the other half I finished in the oven ala Chefsteps.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that looks too good...too good!!

• Dr ROK
                    Dr ROK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't tell from the pics, did you season after the water bath?

Yes I did. I used Black Ops Brisket Rub from Oakridege BBQ that I had on hand. I also used that in the water bath instead of the rub from Chef Steps. I will mix up a batch of the Big Bad Beef Rub and use it the next time out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here