Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on Meathead's article concerning ribs and SVQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Meathead's article concerning ribs and SVQ

I have some questions concerning Meathead's article entitled "Perfect Smoked Ribs Every Time with Sous-Vide-Que":
    1. In the last part of the article he's talking about adding smoke and he says" . . . Placing a charcoal chimney full of . . . I assume he is saying to place the chimney in the smoker and not dump the pre-heated briquet in the smoker.

2. Again, In the last part of the article he's talking about adding smoke and he says "As the cooker came to temperature . . . . Came to what temperature? What temp of the smoker am I lookin' for?

3. In the last sentence of that same paragraph, he says " . . . the ribs smoked for exactly 30 minutes". In the last paragraph of the article, he says " . . . and the 45 minutes of smoke . . . My question is what is the length of smoking time 30 min or 45 min?

Thanks for your help,

Backpacker

For the answer to the first question, you need to follow the link for two zone cooking. You actually dump the briquettes.

For the second and third, those are answered further down the page, in the formal description of the method. I think the discrepancy is that he (it is Clint Cantwell’s article) describes starting with ribs both directly from sous vide, and also ribs that have been chilled to simulate being held until the next day, which he said he’d started earlier. So, 30 minutes for warm ribs, 45 for cold. It is a little vague. I linked him, he should come along and clear it up soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D36E450B-A680-4A75-8659-A7B9CD2865D4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	610.6 KB ID:	1362656
    Last edited by Mosca; January 16, 2023, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Also, please post your results! I’ve been meaning to try this, but I never plan far enough ahead….

Comment

Generally speaking, you're dumping lit coals in whatever smoker method you're using to get your smoker up to temp and producing smoke for the finishing step, on your timing terms.

I've gotten great results using a smoker temp @ 300-325F for the reheat/smoke step, especially if you're trying to caramelize some sauce on the ribs. You may get a little more smoke flavor using lower/slower temps, but the higher temp range seems to be a good spot for time/temp/texture.

I slightly prefer 100% smoker-cooked ribs, but the results using SV + smoke are still excellent and I especially love this method for cooking for a large crowd... parties, tailgates, etc. It eliminates most of the timing worries since the ribs are SV'd as far in advance as you want, then just finished/reheated over smoke just prior to serving. Also helps avoid cooking too much meat (yes, it happens ) since it's easier to judge the right amount of ribs to finish based on the actual crowd on the day of the event. The bagged ribs that don't get used up right away can go back to refrigerator/freezer for another day.

Let us know how if turns out.

Comment

Thanks, guys for your responses - they are most helpful. For some reason I didn't finish reading the article or I would have answered my own questions. Again thanks. It'll probably be next week or so before I can get to it, but I'll definitely post the results.

Comment

Hey BourBonQ, there seems to be another point that confuses me. In the "Method" section, the recipe says in the "Fire Up" paragraph "When your are ready to serve . . . " and then the next step, the "Cook" paragraph, tells me to cook the ribs another 45 minutes. It seems to tell me that when I'm ready to serve,I've got to cook the ribs another 45 min. I'm sure I missed something but it seems to see that the first part of "Fire Up" - "When you are ready to serve . . . " could be eliminated??

I'm just pointing this out because you said you'd send the author a note. Maybe he could take a look at this also?

Backpacker

Comment

Backpacker Brown , I believe it's referring to the general time to begin prepping for serving, not the precise minute... in BBQ terms 45 minutes is the blink of an eye!

Also, it was Mosca linking to the the author, not me.

Cheers, hope it turns out well for you!

Comment

For what it is worth, I have done this (SV'd then reheated/smoked later).

I had a friend who was visiting family on the East coast and on his return trip home to the midwest was driving by, so I encouraged him to stop in on his way past. As it turned out he would be driving through around lunchtime on a Wednesday and I am still working while he is retired. I promised him ribs, so I SV'd them the day before and threw them in the fridge (per the suggested method). He texted when they were within an hour so I started up my Weber (working remotely) and smoked them for about 30 minutes at around 275 degrees.

Worked very well (he still talks about them) but I still think the do-it-in-the-smoker from start to finish is better.

Comment

I finally got around to cooking the babybacks and they turned out quite good - almost as good as 6 hours in the smoker. I SV'ed them for 24 hours at 150*, then quick cooled them (just for the experience) in an ice bath, and then in to the Fridge. You'd better have plenty of ice as it melts fast. A couple hours later I put them on the smoker at 225* for 45 min and sauced them twice. When I pulled them the IT's varied from about 147 to 155*. I"ll use this method when we have company as it's easy and the guest will find it interesting. Didn't think that the smoke flavor was there so next time I'll use some smoked paprika and maybe smoked salt in the rub. Sorry folksI forgot to take some Q pic's - next time?

Comment

Thanks Mosca for the "like". I may try to cook another slab of baby backs Monday or so and make a few adjustments. If so I'll certainly post a Qview - if this 81 year old mind doesn't forget it. Naaah, I'll post some views.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pffft. I promised snaps on a cook a couple days ago, and remembered as I was putting the leftovers in the fridge. And I got 12 years to go to match you. You’re doing okay, considering!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here