Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So today is my birthday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday David Parrish!

Comment

Starts the maillard reaction before sous viding can improve flavor. It will continue at some level while cooking. Also, in my experience, you get better color, without effecting the internal doneness, if you do both.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; January 16, 2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

David Parrish Happy Birthday! Salt and pepper steak, bag. 129 degrees hot tub time machine, preheat Craycort hot plate. Paint the steak with high smoke point oil, slap it on the hot plate.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I did 129° I thought it was a tad overcooked for my taste, but the pictures of yours look awesome, so, IDK.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          129 overcooked?? You must like rare. I do mine 129 when I'm home alone. 135 when the wife is partaking.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          What can I tell you? We are very happy with 124°.

Thanks for the Bday wishes folks. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          January babies. Mine was January 3rd, my brother's is tomorrow

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy belated birthday Ernest! My birthday is Jan 20th.

Happy Birthday, and many more.

Comment

Happy Birthday Pit Boss! Please let us know how your first sous vide cook turns out. I too am a sous vide virgin but I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on an Anova stick.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I've got two premium choice 1" thick NY Strips that have been hot tubbin it for about an hour. I'll be firing up the grill soon. I feel silly getting the grill hot for a few minutes of cooking.

Happy Birthday David Parrish I don't really think you need help cooking a steak

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            Happy Birthday David Parrish I don't really think you need help cooking a steak

Thanks! Perhaps I can handle it on my own, but it's nice to hear tips and techniques from time to time, and this is the first SV steak I've done

Comment

Happy burpday Dave! Beef.....it's what's for dinner!

Comment

So I made 2 1" thick NY Strips using Chef Step's recipe. Salt, Pepper, EVOO and a little Moore's Marinade in the SV bag. Let those go in the SV for a couple of hours at 129 F. Dried them on paper towels and then coated with Ghee. Seared them for about 2.5 minutes over the SnS using the standard Weber grate. Here are pics of the results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	134532

Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	134533

I thought they were very good, but not the best I've ever made. Honestly, I'm not sure what the SV fuss is all about. They were dead simple to cook, I'll give you that, but my techniques using just the grill have produced much better results. I'll keep trying though and see if SV has anything to offer other than making a very good steak easy to make.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! Though credit for both of tonight's photos goes to Guest =)

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks David Parrish you just save me some $$$. I was waiting on your feedback.

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad I could help!

Catherine is a great shooter! The secret to great sous vide steaks is THICK and low fat, so filets are a good choice. The long slow process makes very tender juicy meat, but flavorless. So then you need a super hot grill with lots of white smoke for a very quick sear. The Afterburner method is perfect or using a Cook-Air.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree a thicker steak might have helped tonight. The CS recipe called for a 1" steak though so that's what I bought. Live and learn!

Almost missed this!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, David Parrish !!!

I hope you had a GREAT day that you thoroughly enjoyed! May it be but the start of your best year ever!

Rich

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Rich! If folks keep buying Slow 'N Sears it WILL be the best year!

Happy Birthday David Parrish !! Hope your day is great. Sorry I missed the dinner invite.

Comment

I could never imagine sous vide steaks being killer compared to plain grilled...but a sous vide tri tip I bet would be the bomb

Comment

Happy Birthday youngster!

Last edited by The Burn; January 16, 2016, 09:48 PM. Reason: {Saw that we already had a sous vide "channel" under techniques....}

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here