Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique/how to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique/how to help

I’m looking to sous vide the Christmas prime rib this year. The prime rib is usually 4-6lbs, how do I get something that size in an air tight bag? What bags and what vacuum sealer does everyone use for this large of a cut?

thanks!
    Last edited by ctallstar; November 16, 2022, 09:31 PM.

I’ve put those, and larger, in the larger of these bags. Just about any vacuum sealer should do it, I have an old one that I’ve never seen anywhere else “Sous Vide Supreme”, but my Food Saver could do it easily. The trick is to leave like 7” or more on the open end after you’ve inserted the roast, enough to get a nice line across. It’s all getting the air sucked out anyways.

SimpleHouseware Vacuum Sealer Bags Roll Food Sous Vide Bag Roll, 2-Pack (11" x 50' and 8'' x 50', total 100 feet) https://a.co/d/33vvm63

Here’s a photo. It is a really simple sealer, no bells, no whistles. (Fork included for scale.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	60541793-B15E-40AC-A39C-96031DA1BC64.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1328745

Last edited by Mosca; November 16, 2022, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Mosca has good advice. Also, Foodsaver makes expandable bags: see here

And Ziploc makes great 2-gallon freezer zipper bags that would work.

but…what I would do is increase size to ~8#, and put a nice sear on it over direct heat on your grill, then move to indirect/cooler side and let come up to temp over time running about 250. That will give you best of both worlds.

Comment

Anything I am going to put in water gets double sealed. That's 2 seals next to each other with a little space between them - not one top of the other. You don't want it to look like one seal.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto that. I would even double bag.

Thanks for the great and timely advice everyone, very helpful!

Any recommendations on a tub or bucket to use for the water? My typical tub won’t be big enough

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Buy a Tupperware container. Tons of 'em on Amazon. I've got 'em in several sizes. I think I got my most used one at WM - it's probably 11 x8 x15 deep or so.

Originally posted by ctallstar View Post
        Thanks for the great and timely advice everyone, very helpful!

Any recommendations on a tub or bucket to use for the water? My typical tub won’t be big enough
        Maybe a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here