Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova fail #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova fail #2

I had an overnight brisket going a while back and when I got up it was at room temp. Anova Sous Vide was on, but not heating or circulating. Wrote it off to a fluke but yesterday the same thing happened with a cross rib roast. Kinda peeved about wasting 10 lbs plus of meat. Fired off an email to Anova today.

Water levels were fine, no power outages. Anyone have a similar experience?

The only problem I ever had was the control head getting full of steam and shutting things down. If that happened overnight, then it may of gotten steamed up, and then cleared up before you caught it. That's purely a guess on my part.

I solved the problem by building one of these. It also lets me run 72 hours without adding water.

Comment

I have an Anova container and I pack towels over the little opening it provides at the circulator, along with towels all over that dude for insulation.

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve got that same container and that’s a great idea about insulating it with towels.

I’ve never had mine shut down but I use the Anova tub that came with the cooker. One of the most common problems I’ve read about and experienced with my Anova is the broken thumbscrew that secures the cooker to the cooking vessel. It’s made of plastic so I recommend not tightening it too much.

Comment

• coupster
      coupster commented
      Editing a comment
      Anova was replacing the clamp attachment for the original units under warranty.
      Contact them and see if the program is still active. I've had cooks for over a day without any issue. I wrap the sides and top of my container especially the gap around the hole for the unit with towels - keeps the water level up and the steam leakage down.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      coupster It is still active. Mine broke about at about 8 months of age and they replaced the entire clamp.

I don't have an Anova container, but use Anova with two stock pots - a 2 gallon and a 5 gallon - depending on what I am doing. Never had Anova shutdown on me, and I don't usually bother to run the app - I just spin the dial to the temp I want and hit the start button. If its a long cook in the larger pot, I'll cover the top with foil to hold the steam in.

I doubt I've done a cook longer than 4-5 hours with Anova, and have never run it overnight. I've done a couple of half pork loins at 145 for 4-5 hours, and done steaks (1 hour), and lately use it to reheat pulled pork in vacuum bags for 1-2 hours.

Comment

I just use a cheap container and cover it with foil. I've done several very long cooks on chuck roasts (60+ hours) without any issues other than if water level gets too low.

Comment

To their credit, Anova did respond and requested proof of purchase, serial number, etc. so looks like they are replacing it.

I do see a frankencooler in my future, that is actually how I got started in Sous vide back when the units cost $1,000 plus and we were just starting to here about them. Heated water on the burner and balanced out a big ice chest, put the probes in and poured hot water in as needed for tri-tips.

Comment

If you get a new one I would put a temp probe with low temp alarm on it so you can sleep again!

that has saved me from flameout on my pellet perfection smoker

Comment

• bmillin
            bmillin commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I’ve thought of buying the water proof probe for my Thermoworks Smoke for monitoring sous vide. The Anova app though ought to have an alarm capability on your phone.

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            It seems to me that the only condition under which the Anova could send an alarm for low temp would be one in which it does not lose power but the heating element malfunctions. I don’t think there is a battery in it but that would be nice.

Did you use niquil?

Comment

• bmillin
            bmillin commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't keep it lit

I use a 14 qt. Pot. I cover with this and put a towel over for added heat retention. No issues.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20220921_205239.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1297498

Comment

If I did more sous I'd definitely get their 20L insulated.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here