Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide potatoes for potato salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide potatoes for potato salad

I was thinking of throwing some russets I have into sous vide so I can use them to make potato salad rather than boil and peel them. How long and what temp should I do them to be perfect for potato salad? Obviously I wouldn't want them to cook where they're fluffy for baked potatoes. I have poked around looking for ideas but have come up a little short. Want to be able to set them to cook while I am working.

I know for mashed taters I do an hour at 180ºF. Obviously you could cube them up and go a little less - maybe 160, for a half hour?? I dunno, honestly, though.

<edit> That's cubed up, how I do 'em - if you're wanting to keep 'em whole, that changes things.

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking on keeping them whole, but I guess I could adjust and cube them before. Trying to make life easy for me.

At least 180*. Maybe half an hour. Time is tenderness. Temp is doneness. Vegetables don’t cook below 180.

Comment

If you leave them whole, you're going to have to go a couple of hours at a minimum of 180° to get them cooked through. The smaller you cut them, the less time you're going to need.

Comment

I slice for potato salad and cook at 194 for one hour. They come out perfect every time.

Comment

I have not yet done potatoes in my Sous Vide, but as I page through a cookbook I have, it looks like most of the recipes for potatoes/potato salad also call for 194°F for anywhere from 45 -75 minutes (I imagine the lower times are for small potatoes halved or other potatoes sliced).

Comment

Crazy question since I haven't done potatoes: Do you pierce a potato before SV?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Shouldn’t be necessary, but couldn’t hurt.

Ok, I'll bite. Why bother? The time is short enough that you can't just walk away for hours and have it be ok, right? Aside from control/precision, is there any advantage to this vs simply cooking potatoes normally?

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking the same way? I can cook potatoes pretty quick vs 45-75 mins in a sous vide? Maybe I'm just missing the point and need to give it a shot sometime?

• tamidw
              tamidw commented
              Editing a comment
              Largely because I am curious, but also I am in constant meetings during work and hard to get away to just pay attention to something cooking for a short amount of time. I can barely get away sometimes to have lunch these days. 🤦‍♀️

I use it for potato salad because it makes it easy to get the consistency perfect. It can be tough, at least for me, to get the potatoes just right for potato salad when boiling.

Comment

• tamidw
              tamidw commented
              Editing a comment
              I go from just slightly not done enough to overdone real quick when I boil them.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here