Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide for Tempering Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide for Tempering Chocolate

Wanted to make chocolate covered strawberries for my better half for Mother’s Day tomorrow. Last couple times I tried this I failed miserably. I decided to do some research on the subject. I’m sure this is not new to most of you but it was new to me. I learned you need to temper the chocolate before you dip your strawberries.

Watching videos on YouTube I thought this looks like it’s a bit too difficult for me to try. (I have tendencies to not pay close attention to measurements and temperatures when cooking, that’s probably why I have issues baking). I then came across a video or two using sous vide to temper chocolate and I thought that’s seems easy and it was.

One was using the sous vide tub as your double boiler but that seemed to take too long and I know I would have got water in my chocolate and screwed it all up. The other technique was to just seal them in a vacuum seal bag an chuck them in the water. This seemed right up my alley. Simple with a small chance of failure.

Found some times and temperatures on the old inter web and off I went. I was using milk chocolate so I used the following temperatures and times:

115° for 15 minutes then 78° for 15 minutes then 86° for the last 15 minutes. To get the water down to 78° I just removed about 3 cups of water from my vessel and added in 3 cups of ice. It took about 5 minutes to get to 78°.

I found the following temperatures for dark chocolate:

120° for 15 minutes then 80° for 15 minutes then 88° for the last 15 minutes.

There were times and temperatures for white chocolate but that stuff is disgusting and I’ll never need to melt it. 😆

When all was said and done I removed the bag from the water, dried it off extremely well and snipped the corner and squeezed the chocolate into a small diameter juice glass. It flowed extremely well and the strawberries dipped nicely. After the first 4 strawberries that I dipped I microwaved the chocolate for 10 seconds, dipped the next 4 and then microwaved again for another 10 seconds and then dipped the last 4.

The strawberries look good and the chocolate tasted great when I sampled some after I let it harden.

I’ve now learned a new trick with my sous vide. Probably never use the double boiler method to melt chocolate again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	974446A0-1882-408A-862B-8D9B4CE3AEBF.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1217625
    The upper left strawberry was the last one I dipped. I was running out of chocolate and the chocolate probably needed heated back up a bit.

Pretty nifty - so you just used regular chocolate bars to melt?

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just used Hershey’s milk chocolate chips.

This is very clever. Nice work and the results look delicious!

Comment

Those look great. You're a good husband to spend the time to research and make something special for your wife.

Kathryn

Comment

Dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips?
        We have tried this once or twice with varying results but have never tempered the chocolate.
        Great write especially for today.

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
          The upper left strawberry was the last one I dipped. I was running out of chocolate and the chocolate probably needed heated back up a bit.
          You can always eat the evidence.

Comment

Thanks for doing the legwork and testing on this. I’m saving your technique for future use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here