Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Anova arrives Friday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Anova arrives Friday!

The pre-order for the wifi version that I placed in September is arriving Friday. We have been trying to decide what to cook for its inauguration, and the winner is:

Salmon!

Ynette has patiently been eating all the meats I have been smoking on the PBC or grilling, and she keeps saying something about 'we never have fish', which actually doesn't bother me (not having fish, not her talking about it). So in the spirit of fairness and harmony, I bowed to her desires. After all, their meat is red, right?

I ordered one too, but haven't yet been notified of a delivery date. Looking forward to trying it out!

Comment

Coolness. Make a BIG thread when it comes in.

I am about to test run my set up with an Aquarium circulator (double hose) on a ribeye at 131 for a couple hours. Maybe this weekend.

If all I good, move onto Creme Brulee at 175 for 1 hour.

Testing the melting point of my hose. It is 140psi @ 70 degrees. Very rigid.....we shall see.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Creme brulee! Wow. I love creme brulee and have a great recipe for it. I don't quite see how a sous vide will be used to make it. Can you elaborate?

Thanks.

I love my Sous Vide Supreme. If you get one, buy the standalone and get a foodsaver separately because their own sealer blows. A big tip that helped me out when I first got it was to not rely solely on vacuum sealed bags. In fact, I probably use ziplocs more than vacuum bags in around a 10-1 ratio. I almost always vacuum seal large meats, and almost always use a ziploc for smaller things. The main reason is that you can add hot items as well as liquids, where doing that with a vacuum sealer isn't viable for hot food, and, at the very least messy when you vacuum seal a bag with liquid.

I've poached eggs, pears, & salmon, & made duck confit, all with great success in ziploc bags. Sometimes I will add red wine to beef, white to fish, etc, as well as any aromatics. Garlic is hit or miss in sous vide. A lot of people say it never gets hot enough for them to take that raw bite out of it, but I still use it sometimes. My very favorite thing to make in my sous vide is short ribs. I always vacuum seal those, maybe with some cold butter, usually just salt & pepper. Nothing like eating medium rare short ribs that are as melt in your mouth as ones that were cooked up to 200+. I don't know any other way to do it other than with sous vide.

If you want to impress while doing literally nothing, make dulce de leche. All you do is dump a few cans of evaporated milk into some canning jars, set it overnight at 185, and 15 or so hours later you have the easiest dessert/caramel/whatever you want to call it possible.

Comment

The Mrs. is going online today to scope out recipes she wants to try. With luck, she will become the Queen of the Sous Vide, and I can stay in the back yard where I belong! I did point out some good looking scallop recipes. Luckily, we both share a love of all shellfish. She likes fin fish more than I, except for salmon. She is a pretty good cook, and has gotten better since I convinced her to use the Thermopen and not rely on time for some things. Anyway, I see a long winter of experiments ahead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here