Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous videing large cuts before smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous videing large cuts before smoking?

I'm thinking you should be able to produce the juiciest, most tender brisket ever by soaking it a day at a relatively low temps and finishing off in the smoker at 325F to form the bark.

My bath isn't big enough for anything larger than ribs but they sure respond well to this method.

Anyone tried this approach and if so did the bark suffer?

Most do brisket for 48 hours, then sear.

I know Ernest did one. And of course Chefsteps.

Comment

I cooked a choice grade flat sous vide for 48 hours at 130 F and then smoked it at 300. Since I wanted to keep the meat medium rare, I could not smoke the flat for very long. The bark was thin and the meat was not as tender as I wanted.

If I try this again I may sear the brisket on a cast iron grill pan.

Comment

• (brownie)
        (brownie) commented
        Editing a comment
        Brisket is an inherently tough cut of beef because of all the connective tissue in a highly utilized muscle. It really won't get tender at all until it is cooked to 200 F or so.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        (brownie) you can soften up at low temps, some just take more time. It's like taking out bacteria, time + temp.

Lakeside Chef Meathead had one that Chefsteps did, and they finished it in a really hot oven. I know they have an oven that can over 500.

Comment

My oven has a pyrolysis cleaning program that I hot wire for making pizza so high heat is no problem but I'm not looking for thin crust and a sea of medium meat. I would prefer a thick, really smoky bark and an inch or so of well done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here