Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning First QVQ Cook for Work Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the meat is now in the fridge with the purge stored separately. One butt fell apart into two to three chunks as I was taking it out of the bath so I guess I have to cook that on my bbq tray tomorrow. I am going to aim for about 2.5 hours at 275 and add the smaller bits towards the end. It is all being shredded so I guess it doesn’t matter how many pieces we end up with beforehand.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Carry on! Sounds like things are going well. You're right, it won't make a difference if there are pork chunks in a pan for the last part of your QVQ experience. More room for bark!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2021, 07:03 AM.

Success! Everyone raved about the pulled pork and said the Carolina gold was amazing. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Attached Files

Comment

Took final temps to 160-170 with no issues and poured in purge with no issues either.

Comment

I will say the chafing dishes from webresturant were utter crap and they were too late for the picnic so I had to buy new ones locally. However, the heating pad and the Cambro bag were top notch as was the Rubbermaid container.
        Last edited by STEbbq; August 22, 2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

It's so nice to hear that all turned out so well, STEbbq . So did you do the last Q part at your workplace or on your home smoker?

Using the purge makes a huge difference in amping up the flavor. Sometimes when I smoke chuck roasts for pulled beef, I'll SVQ one of them and do the others all on the smoker just so I can have the purge to add to the drippings and mix everything in with the meat. Best of both worlds that way.

Congrats on a job well done. Wasn't it a lot of fun, trying a new technique and everything coming out so nicely?

Kathryn

Comment

What an adventure! Thanks for talking us along!

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Hell, no more zero_credit make that 100% Credit!

fzxdoc It was super fun. Very straightforward and delivered outstanding pulled pork. I wish my family liked it so I could make it more, as pulling it apart is so fun it must be criminal. Everyone at the picnic except for one guy who made brisket (it was gone before I got there) generally bought stuff at the store, so the pulled pork was definitely the star.

I was wondering about the purge, and I gave it a taste before pouring it in, and it was just juices versus salty, so in it went (only needed about half to give the meat a nice coating). I did need to ramp up the temps to 375 to get the meat to 160 before driving over, so started off at 250, and kept upping it over the course of three hours. I ended up 45 minutes later (45 minute drive turned into 1.5 hours due to traffic/me lost), but meat was still perfect and hot.

That is a really good idea on the beef chuck so I'll have to remember that for next time.

Everything with the Joule is so easy, it makes you look like a rock star.

Comment

STEbbq Excellent work my man. I’ve got a brisket ready to SVQ over Labor Day weekend. I know what you mean about the family not liking pulled pork or brisket. My solution is to 1) satisfy yourself and 2) freeze the rest for another day !!

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                I console myself with the fact that my daughter requested my pastrami for her birthday. No higher honor right? And maybe now I should do QVQ pastrami? I think I should. Do the flat the usual way and the point QVQ…
                Last edited by STEbbq; August 24, 2021, 09:43 AM.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                STEbbq point cooked as brisket, flat as pastrami is the program I adopted a couple of years ago. Good program 👍

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman I suggested the brisket / pastrami idea to my family and the response was "so we get less delicious pastrami?"

Congratulations on a successful venture STEbbq . Happy to read that everything turned out so well.

Comment

STEbbq Here's an A Bar N Ranch American Wagyu brisket I busted up into point and flat. Did the point as QVQ.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisk 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.36 MB ID:	1082507

...and did that flat as pastrami. Just tell your family there is plenty to go around. On the point you can serve them burnt ends, make brisket spaghetti, do baked potatoes, make brisket enchiladas or the ever popular brisket tacos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pastrami am wagyu ABarN flat 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.26 MB ID:	1082508

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're making me hungry...

STEbbq First, thanks for the great story/adventure! I’m inspired to QVQ for my next brisket or pork shoulder.
                l’ve used Foodsavers for years, and so far have never had one malfunction. The current Costco one is fine, although I never have used the marinade function. (Gimmick?) Just don’t buy one that auto-detects bags you insert. You want one of the clamshell models that allow you to adjust and straighten the bag opening on the sealing bar & vacuum drip tray.
                My question for you & fzxdoc & @Potkettleblack is regarding the purge: Do you microwave and filter this purge to remove the albumin and other coagulable proteins?
                Thanks,
                Daniel
                Last edited by Dr. Pepper; August 25, 2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                  Dr. Pepper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why would the purge be treated differently for pork than beef? (Maybe it's a Kosher or Halal thing? 😬)

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t know. Maybe Potkettleblack or Polarbear777 know

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's really no reason not to process pork purge the same as beef purge. I find that there aren't very many things that call for pork stock, so I don't think it's really the same level of culinary gold that beef stock is. With SVQ for pulled pork, I just add the unfiltered jus back to the pulled product. Beef stock and broth are more commonly used, so there's more reason to clarify it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here