Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Chuck

Sous Vided a chuck roast for 24 hrs at 132F. Too tough! Put it in the refrigerator overnight. One piece I seared that other I did not.
    Can I put this in a new bag and sous vide longer or will it be too dried out? Should I put it in a container and braise in a broth mixture? New at sous vide and lots to learn.

I would think a good braise to break down the fibers might work.
    BTW, fresh pineapple juice makes a great meat tenderizer.

Comment

Haven't tried chuck steak. I recently did 2 chuck roast with a QVQ approach. I smoked the chuck until 150, then Sous Vide at 145 for 24, then sear. First one I really liked. The 2nd one was ok.

Comment

• Sharhamm
        Sharhamm commented
        Editing a comment
        What is QVQ?

24 at 131 will not be enough time to achieve a texture like steak. Will take more like 48-72h. I think you can safely bag the unused portion and let it go for the remainder of the time.

use the pinch test. When you think it’s time to pull an item from SV, squeeze the bag and see if it’s the texture you want. If it’s too firm, put it back and give it more time.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have taken the small pieces and slices that were seared and braised them for about 3 hrs. They are nice and tender now. The remaining unseared piece I rebagged and put it in the water bath at 160F. Will keep checking until it feels good when pinched. Had never thought about pinching to determine tenderness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here