Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice bath After Sous Vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
    Smoked for 2.75 hours at 275* to IT of 191. He says he pulled it at that IT due to fear of overcooking, but it was not.
    My understanding has changed considerably over the years on this point.

The "rule" has always been to finish no hotter than you cooked sous vide. So, you SV at 155, you don't want to smoke to 203.

My understanding evolved. If I have cooked a short rib at 131x72, I have broken down the collagen to the point where it will pinch "probe tender." While maintaining medium rare. So, when I do a sear or a smoke for finish, what happens when I take it over 131. I do not rebuild the collagen... so it will stay tender. I will lose my low med rare, but I shouldn't lose the tenderness.

Now, that level of doneness is important when you're doing steaks or other tender cuts. This is why I shock steaks and chops and chicken pieces down before searing. (not the only reason... see link above).

However, if I have already cooked a brisket at 155 for 30-48 hours, achieved that same tenderness through collagen breakdown, I've already cooked it to well done. There's no "doneness" to preserve, and smoking beyond 155 isn't going to change the tenderness.

I recently did a brisket where I SV'd much like this. Season and smoke, bag and soak at 155x48 (or something like that), shock, reseason, smoke at 300* until I liked the bark, which was around 190 IT. I like thick dark bark. Meteor like. Wife thought it was best I've made.

The central maxim I now adhere to is to start a SV project with an end result in mind. If I want steaky brisket, that will be ye old 1 hour pre smoke (maybe), 133x72, smoke hot and keep below 135 IT. And if I want traditional brisket, that will be this hotter temp process as described above.

What you want for your ultimate result will guide your process from the start. And what you do at the start will possibly limit the end points you can arrive at.

I realize this understanding of the second Q in SVQ and QVQ is going to be read as heresy.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      "I realize this understanding of the second Q in SVQ and QVQ is going to be read as heresy. "

... not by this heretic. Nicely put, PKB.

Potkettleblack Thanks! The intent of my question was to understand why shocking/cooling after SV was needed or desired. Regardless of end result desired (steaky or traditional) for the brisket, getting the temp down allows for the last smoke step to build bark/flavor to be done without surpassing the desired end temp/doneness/consistency while still maintaining tenderness and moisture. Your explanation is a very helpful guide, at least for me, on using the QVQ/SVQ method.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I do live to pay it forward.

Let us know how it comes out.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You have paid it forward on so many occasions, Potkettleblack . Every time I see one of your posts, my ears perk up because maybe I'll most likely be adding something new to my knowledge bank, especially about SV.

Kathryn

Be prepared for perhaps the best brisket you have done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here