Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Idea #1 - Rib TIPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Idea #1 - Rib TIPS?

So I bought this new sous vide rig and have been having a lot of fun (and a good amount of successes) following recipes! As normally happens when I find a new toy to play with, once I master some basics, mad scientist mode takes over.

During the pandemic when the Karen’s were creating shortages left right and center, it became impossible to find St Louis cut ribs in my area. No worries, I know what to do! 😃 Bought a bunch of spare ribs, and I cut em up into St Louis trim and had a bunch of rib tips to boot. 👍

Now I’m thinking about trying to sous vide the rib TIPS, but I can’t seem to find a recipe or guidance anywhere - so I thought I’d solicit some knowledge and ideas from you fine folks. 😊

So my question to the SV crowd is this - do you think following a recipe for time and temp for a RACK of ribs would be okay for TIPS? I’ve noticed when I smoke tips they cook a heckuva lot faster than a rack (naturally). Now I know you’ve got to go SERIOUSLY overboard on time with SV before it starts negatively affecting the texture of the meat… but I don’t want to end up with pork mush. LOL! If following the time guidance for a rack would do that, how far back do you reckon I should cut back the time in the SV bath?

Finishing shouldn’t be a problem (I’m thinking re-season, torch to sear, sauce, torch to carmelize).

So has anyone given this a whirl?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! 😊

I'd use your experience with the time it takes to smoke tips vs ribs and use the same percentage. So if tips smoke in half the time as ribs, SV for half the time for tips. But you could likely just use the same SV time as ribs and not go wrong.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense, and seems a logical starting point. 💁‍♂️ Thanks for the input sir, much appreciated.

My only suggestion is to make small packages and try different amounts of time. In fact, you could start them all at the same time and pull them consecutively finishing them as you pull them. Maybe every 15 to 20 minutes? Pull the rest when a package it is the way you want it.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooooh, I like this!!! This way I can try out several or all of the ideas I get here, and next time I’ll know what works best… GENIUS!!! 😃🙌

Pretty much just as tough and connective as the ribs so I’d start by treating them the same and adjust next time if needed.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      See, I hadn’t even considered this angle! 🤦 This is why I come seeking knowledge - thanks for the help! 👍

145 for 24 hours will give you tender tips. You can finish in a deep fryer, pan sear or warp 10 grill

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now this HERE sounds like the voice of experience! 💪 Have you done this before maybe?

And I hadn’t even thought of a deep fryer to finish - seems like it would work great! Thanks for the help! 🙏

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah deep fryer is an excellent plan.

• jecucolo
      jecucolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Roll it in breadcrumbs first! Then deep fry it!

Use the same temp you would for ribs.
    Likely to take the same amount of time, but this is where the pinch test is your friend...
    pinch them every 8-12 hours, and see how you feel about the texture.
    As always, start with an end in mind, so you know what the pinch should feel like.

Comment

The sous vide cooks so gently and doesn't exceed the target temperature. The only real difference would seem to be that the tips might get to the target temperature a little quicker than whole ribs. So maybe you'd want to cut the sous vide time a little, but I suspect it would be more alike than different.

Comment

• gdsim1
        gdsim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s kind of what I was thinking too sir, and I appreciate your input. 👍

gdsim1 oh yes I have many many many......many times. You can always squeeze the bag at 4 hour intervals and get a feel of tenderness.

Comment

• gdsim1
        gdsim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome - now I know who to run to when I need more answers or guidance! 🤣🤣🤣 Thanks for the help sir, very much appreciated. 👍

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here