Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chicken Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chicken Chili

There’s a local BBQ place that makes a decent smoked chicken chili that my wife likes, so I figured I’d give it a shot. I think it came out pretty good, and she loved it. It had really good smoke flavor as I smoked the chicken thighs prior to placing them in the cast iron dutch oven with the other ingredients, and finishing it off.
    Attached Files

White chicken chili (not real chili) is great. I even allow beans! Just don't confuse it with Texas Red... That's the first time I have seen a chicken chili that isn't white. Interesting.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Looks / sounds dang dang DEE-licious from here! Congrats on a Fine Job!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 1, 2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Steve J
          Steve J commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks...it was amazing

Looks really good, fine job!

Comment

Looks tasty. If you throw enough spices in (not just heat). It could taste good also

Comment

I also have never had chicken chili that was not white including white beans. This looks incredible! What differences do you do in making up your chili, other than the chicken, that makes yours your own? In other words, we would love to have a rundown on your recipe!
            Last edited by Alabama Smoke; April 27, 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
              I also have never had chicken chili that was not white including white beans. This looks incredible! What differences do you do in making up your chili, other than the chicken, that makes yours your own. In other words, we would love to have a rundown on your recipe!
              Thanks for the kind words. All I did different was use diced and stewed tomatoes, along with chili beans, black beans, and onions.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Then all I need to do is exchange beef for chicken and add black beans!!!! Thanks!

Oh, sure looks like you had a little rice in the mix in one of your pics??? Guess that might be the onion?

It looks really good. When I make chicken chili my wife always comments that, while good, it's supposed to be white, not red. Good to see I'm not the only one whose chicken chili is red.

Comment

Alabama Smoke Yeah there was rice and some diced onions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                  It looks really good. When I make chicken chili my wife always comments that, while good, it's supposed to be white, not red. Good to see I'm not the only one whose chicken chili is red.
                  To be honest, before making this, I never knew that most people only really considered it to be chicken chili only if it was white

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, really: yers is a refreshin take on th idea, an I personally don't care if it's red or white...also, yer way, I don't haveta make up a roux, an then a white sauce.

I assure ya, I'll be tryin this out, then later tweakin it to my own style.

I greatly appreciate yer postin it, an plan to take full advantage of yer tutorial; I can eat chili 3 times a day, an not git tired of it.

This gives me another variety to play with, an I am lookin forward to th journey!

Thanks fer plantin th seed.
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 1, 2020, 11:25 PM.

I’m making this today with leftover chicken I smoked the other day and chicken broth from the picked over carcass 👍🏻.

Comment

Looks great. Hmmmm . Good enough to enter a contest with maybe......

Comment

That looks really good! I wouldn't mind a rundown of that recipe either.

Comment

Originally posted by troymeister View Post
                        That looks really good! I wouldn't mind a rundown of that recipe either.
                        troymeister Hey no problem: I smoked four chicken thighs. When they were almost finished, I mixed up 1/2 diced onion, 2-14oz cans of stewed and diced tomatoes, and 1-14 oz can of chili beans in a cast iron pan and put it on the smoker. I took the chicken thighs and placed them in the cast iron pan as well, placed the lid on, and let it smoke until the thighs got tender and literally fell off of the bones, while ocassionally stirring (sorry I can't say how long that took as I can't remember). Once everything was finished, I picked the thigh bones out, ladled the chili over rice, added some cheese, and served.

Comment

• troymeister
                          troymeister commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like it!! Thank you. I will be trying soon!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here