Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh jeez. I put rib rub in my chili.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh jeez. I put rib rub in my chili.

Ya know, you get old, you don’t see as well, you don’t pay attention like you should.

That being said, it isn’t bad. I only put in about four ounces, and I put in about twice that of the right stuff. It wasn’t a powder I’d mixed up myself, and there is a hint of cloves or cinnamon or something like that, something unexpected but not bad... just not what I was expecting. And this isn’t a one-pound-of-meat-one-can-of-beans chili, this is four pounds of meat, half a dozen poblanos, four onions, six serranos, four habañeros, eight cloves of garlic and two cans of tomatoes chili.

Whatever, I’ll eat it regardless. Mrs Mosca can’t eat anything spicy or acidic any more, so it’s all mine.

You know, quite a many discoveries has happened from reasons just like this. Perhpas your on to something here. I would like you to consider the name "rib rub chili" when you start to can it later it life :-).

Comment

At least your mistake is edible. I have made some that definitely were not...

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        ... sure enough, my stainless steel pot of chili (award winning I'm sure) was bubbling goo and charcoal stuck to the bottom. Turns out the plastic knob on that old stove top had a parting line from the molding process that I mistook for the true marker. Still, ten years later I can't live that down - and the chili cook off is coming Oct. 31.
        So, enjoy what you can of that 'rib rub chili'.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Adding too much salt is a good way to get there. :-)

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Only some...

One of the advantages of making chili with actual chili's is you never have to worry about cloves, anise, cardamom or other such nonsense in your chili. After all, they don't say "come on over for a bowl of spice blend".

Comment

Ya' just make a take off on Cincinnati chili. It has cinnamon, cloves and allspice in it. Along with the chili spices.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I never did get used to that Skyline Cincinnati chili, although I tried hard to like it. It was hugely popular among my friends, though. I was the lone standout. Texas Red is more my kind of chili.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here