Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another chili question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another chili question

So I have always used ground meat in my chili. I would like to substitute it for smoked chuck or smoked brisket. I am assuming you do not cook it to the "pulled" tenderness. Am I correct in that, and do you cube them first to a larger size (thinking loss of size when final cook is done). what am I going for here. probably need 2 lbs when finished, so guessing 3 1/2 lbs to begin.

So, not a direct answer to your question, but maybe it helps a little. I often use cubed chuck in chili. I usually just hit it with salt and pepper, sear in a cast iron and then add to the chili and let it simmer. The cubes will soften up during the simmer and usually come out fork tender, but not falling apart. I have not tried smoking the chuck prior to adding to chili, but it sounds like a great idea and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Another trick I like for chili is adding some ground Mexican style chorizo (not the cured, dried Spanish style). It adds some spiciness and flavor, plus you get a nice consistency of big meaty cubes of chuck with little crumbles of ground chorizo.

I say go for it! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Meathead has a good chilli recipe that uses smoked chuck which is very good. I have made it many times with good results.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

I have used leftover brisket in chilli before, turned out good. Just cube it up in the size you want.

Like EasyMoney I normally sear the beef in a separate cast iron pan and add it to the chilli, I also fry off spicy chorizo, remove it then sweat off the onions in that oil before adding it back with the beef later on.

This is a great recipe for chilli imo:

Comment

• EasyMoney
        EasyMoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I've made that chili recipe from serious eats many times. Great stuff

• BarbecueUK
        BarbecueUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it is a good one, I’ve done it using different variations from just ground beef, ground beef and pork and left-over pulled pork.

This is my favorite chili. I imagine you can substitute the pulled pork with beef. I don't add the corn, but do add 1lb of chorizo.

First Blue Ribbon – Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili I posted this in general recipes in November. I just noticed that a Soup, Chili, and Stew category was added

Comment

I have made chili a number of times smoking the meat (pork and beef)to about 160 the letting it cool before cutting it into chunks. It does not need to simmer in the chili as long to get tender. I think it raises the level several notches.
        I will be making a new to me recipe with some reverse seared tri tip probably tomorrow.

Comment

I've made it with leftover brisket slices diced to smaller bits and also leftover pulled beef. Both EXCELLENT! I actually preferred the pulled beef one.

Comment

I always make my chili with cubed chuck roast. I wouldn’t bother smoking to tenderness unless you want that texture in your chili.

In fact I have one in the freezer that I intend to turn into chili after smoking first. I’m planning on smoking it for 2-3 hours just to get some smoke flavor and maybe some crust before cutting into 1 inch cubes and then braising in the chili till tender

Comment

I’m in with smoked chuck, makes great chili. I do not want pork in my chili.

Comment

Get some smoke on it for a few hours then cube it. I like smaller cubes.

Comment

Malcolm Reed at How To bbq Right has a good recipe. He smoked his chuck roast to 180, since it will continue to cook in the chili. https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02...-chili-recipe/

He cooks the chili on his smoker. It’s the best chili I’ve ever made
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Bkhuna
                    Bkhuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What are those funny looking, little, brown things?

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bkhuna those are called "beans." let's not start that argument again. 😂

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is one of the best recipes ever. It's my go-to for chili. Smoky, spicy, delicious.

Kathryn

If I'm using the entire chuck for chili I will cook it to 195 internal, will cube it and then let it finish in the pot. At 195 it's not quite pull tender and braising for 30 minutes at the end of the chili cook tenderizes it nicely. This fall I will be smoking a 13 pound packer. Most of it will be for shredded brisket sandwiches but I will be cubing and freezing some for chili a couple of weeks later. In this case I will cook the brisket to full tenderness and when I add the cubed brisket to the chili it will be right after I move the pot off the burner and the cubed brisket will be warmed back up but won't cook any further. When I make no-holds-barred chili (once per year) I will make a large pot and will use more than 1 type of meat.

Comment

make a ball out of your ground beef. Smoke it over the top of a Dutch oven to catch the drippings (along with the onions, garlic, and Chili's. About an hour at 225 with mesquite works well. Then bring inside, brown the meat in the grease in the Dutch oven (along with the rabbit food) and proceed with your recipe as normal.

Comment

I've done chuck to about 180, and used leftover brisket that was taken to 203, so I don't think you have to take it to pulling temp, but you can.

Comment

I've used chuck , I cut to small 1/2 inch cubes. But rather than smoke the meat, I let the whole pot of chili cook and smoke it all on our BGE. Comes out Fantastic, though the pot needs a pick of cleaning after.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here