Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a Chili 'HEAT' adjustment, going up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Chili 'HEAT' adjustment, going up...

Hi,

I made Pork Loin & Beans Chili. It's got the usual suspects for spices in a fire-roasted tomatoes base with chicken broth, along with chopped and roasted Anaheim's, Ancho, Jalapeño, cayenne powder, 2:1 Red Kidney:Pinto, sautéed celery & white onion.

I want to up the heat, but in a flavorful, tempered way. I've got ~ 12 hot sauces on hand - Louisiana & Tabasco variants - Mexicans like Cholula & variants, and some boutique burners.

I could chop, grill and add more Jalapeno, or more Cayenne powder. This is the most potent rich Pork taste I've had.

I'd like the heat to hit you up front, and leave. And if it doesn't, I don't think I can undo it. Any suggestions?

It's simmering now, and will for quite a while. It'll be reheated to be eaten tomorrow.
    Last edited by raywjohnson; November 14, 2018, 11:26 PM. Reason: fix invalid character in title

Hope it came out allrighty, we couldn't access yer post fer nigh on 22 hrs...

Did ya find a solution that made yer flavour profile behave as ya were wantin?

Comment

I like the heat from fresh, sliced jalapeños, but they don’t normally hit ya right up front... but closer than sauce I would say

Comment

Like to hear the results! All my comp chili has a base of dried chiles. All the dried chilies, Ancho, Chipolte, whatever is steeped in simmering water, this water eventually becomes the base for all liquid ingredients, minus one beer.

Comment

Fortunately, we have home grown and smoked cayennes for just such an emergency. If you read that in Foghorn Leghorn's voice it's funnier.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Hold on there Boy! I ain't no chicken. That's a chicken!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a chickenhawk, and I eat chickens.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a joke, I say, that's a joke, son.

CaptainMike Mr. Bones lonnie mac Mudbeaver EdF

When I put this up it was a serious question, but the time has passed and I didn't expect to see this post resurrected. Anyway, I figured out the right answer on my own when I started reading my hot sauce labels - vinegar, garlic, salt - I had all those ingredients right where I wanted, so the only thing I could do was add cayenne powder or roast more jalapeño.

I went with the cayenne. There was well over a gallon of chili, and it's gone, so I wasn't far off.

Comment

I like smoke dried ghost powder to bring heat to a chili when i make it Hot-Hole style.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here