Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting up a batch of bone broth today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting up a batch of bone broth today.

Ordered 30# of bones last week and picked up this morning. 75% knuckles for the cartilage and the rest shanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4118.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	380743

first step is getting them all in the oven to roast them. This gives the finished broth a rich brown color and prevents any bitterness.

Name:	IMG_4119.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	380741

Name:	IMG_4120.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	380746

Once a good browning is done then the bones are coated with tomato paste to help start leaching all the good stuff out of the bones and then put back to roast again.

Name:	IMG_4123.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	380745

Name:	IMG_4121.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	380742

Name:	IMG_4122.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	380744

once the roasting is done then the days of simmering begin.

Attached Files

I like how ya' mentioned "Days..." That's how I do a Lot of my stuff....
    It don't come out the same, otherwise...

Comment

Wow - that's a lot of bones! How large of a batch of broth do you figure you'll wind up with?

Comment

Originally posted by theroc View Post
        Wow - that's a lot of bones! How large of a batch of broth do you figure you'll wind up with?
        I honestly can't give you a reasonable answer!

All of those bones are cut to fit into a 22qt pot. That's a huge amount of bones for that size pot which means it's going to be super concentrated. I'll be canning the broth in mostly pint jars and a few jelly jars and those jars of broth will be used to make gallon sized pots of soup (or bigger) over the winter months or just pots of sippin' broth.

I also sometimes reduce some of the broth down to dried bullion. I did do another post recently showing the bullion process.

I should also also say that once the broth starts simmering that over the course of the next 3-4+ days, I'll be drinking cupfuls of it all day, replacing water lost from that and evaporation, etc. I will fill the pot up once I remove all the bones but again, this is super concentrated.

Comment

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! That's impressive and some dedication. We usually do batches of 5-7 lbs of bones and get 3-4 quarts of
          finished broth. But we cook only ~2 days. You've inspired us to be more ambitious for our next batch.

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          When I'm done with the bones they are so soft that I can crumble them in my hand. Then they are tossed into the garden to nourish the soil, think bonemeal. The worms love them.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          You implying I'm old Mr. Bones? Careful how you answer....
          HeeHee!!!
          No way, no how! I ain't that brave, lol!
          Jus' commendin' ya fer carryin' on th' ways of our forbearers...
          >Real food takes Time... Nuff said...
          As ya' were, Amiga...

That's pretty awesome. I haven't tried making a broth yet but have made an au jus using shanks. And as theroc said Wow thats a lot of bones.

BTW how did your bacon come out??

Comment

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          I updated the bacon thread but to sum it um..OMG!!!

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          R2rusmc great To hear. Did my first batch on Wednesday and you're right OMG!!

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! I'm of the mindset that storebought bacon should be a criminal offense. Lololol

In the pot...

Name:	IMG_4124.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	380809

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep these pics coming. We'd love to see how this progresses.

• R2rusmc
          R2rusmc commented
          Editing a comment
          I have another thread here showing a previous batch that I dehydrated down into bullion.

I agree - impressive.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure!

Here's a of my last chunk of clarified tallow from my last batch of bone broth. As the bones start breaking down a bit a couple of days into the simmer I start skimming off the tallow into a strainer lined with paper towels then simmer it to remove any non tallow liquids then strain again. Sometimes the process needs to be repeated until the tallow is clear and golden. As it cools and hardens it turns white. This makes the best cooking oil (think McDonalds fries before the cooking oil frenzy). I use it mainly for pan frying.

Actually the best tallow ive ever clarified and used came from a batch of buffalo bone broth and that was amazing.

Name:	IMG_4126.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	380973

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I made tallow from my brisket trimmings for the first time last weekend. I'm excited to try it out.

Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Barely a couple hours and already a ton of tallow has risen. I may start doing some skimming in the morning. I'll also shake out the shanks to clear out the rest of the marrow.

Name:	IMG_4128.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	381139

Comment

Broth looking great this morning. Gave it is first "attempt" at a stir after adding in about a glug (official term in my kitchen) of organic apple cider vinegar. The ACV is just to help keep leaching out the bones and does not add anything to the flavor.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Th' 'Glug' has always been recognized as an Official, Standardized Unit of Measurement, here in my world!
              SFDD!

So, put a couple pieces of pink sea salt in a mug and basted some broth from bottom of the pot into the mug with a few cubes of ice and oh wow.....yes, divine. Where is the preacher for simple foods like this?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              An 'Amen', an' 'Hallelujah', Sister, from th' Church of the Sacred Flame!!!

• R2rusmc
              R2rusmc commented
              Editing a comment
              Omg I just lmao. Yer killing me.

I am looking into making some of my own Bone Broth, does anyone have any suggestions, other than the great information above?

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Beef bone broth is a special item. I make it once per year. Outside of roasting the bones and veggies and incorporating some tomato paste during the roasting process - a bottle of red wine for a large, 16 quart stock pot, plus a couple of pounds of ground beef to amp it up.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Would you care to elaborate on your process? I want to start drinking the broth as a supplement. Thank you for any insight. JeffJ

I love making bone broth in the Instant Pot, it works really quite well, and really quick.

Comment

Spinaker I purchase knuckles and shanks - usually enough to fill 2 roasting pans along with the veggies. I drizzle them with oil and hit them with salt and pepper. I put them in the oven and roast them for about 20 minutes. I then remove the pans and turn the bones over. While the bones are roasting, in a small sauce pan I'll warm 2 small cans of tomato paste with a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar. By thinning the paste with vinegar it makes it easier to slather the paste onto the bones. I'll slather the bones with the past mix and add to the pans: quartered onions, a couple of halved heads of garlic, quartered carrots and quartered celery stalks. I'll roast all of this for about 45 minutes. I'll then empty the contents of the roasting pans into a large stock pot and will deglaze the bottoms of the pans if any fond developed. I use a 16 quart stock pot. To the pot I'll add a bottle of dryred wine, kosher salt, black peppercorns, several bay leaves, dried oregano, a pound of raw ground beef (broken up) and of course enough water to fill the pot between 3/4 and 7/8 full. This part is optional but I like to add a couple of tablespoons of beef bouillon. I will bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a good 6 hours with the lid off the pot. I'll pull the bones out and discard and will set a colander on top of another large pot and will pour the pot into it. Once the liquid is through I'll use a ladle and will push out some of the liquid contained in the veggies. I'll rinse out the original stock pot and will pour the liquid from the second pot through a fine mesh conical strainer. The fine mesh strainer filters out everything and leaves you with a silky broth that will likely turn gelatinous when cold.

It isn't cheap, it's time-consuming and labor intensive, but it is SO worth it IMO. Sorry about a lack of quantities in my description. I just eyeball everything having made this beef stock at least a dozen times now.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That's liquid gold brother.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That is great Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here