Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Favorite Clam Chowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Favorite Clam Chowder

With National Clam Chowder Days on the horizon, a local seafood shop and restaurant is serving three different types of chowder. Which one do you prefer?
    New England Clam Chowder
    74.19%
    Rhode Island Clam Chowder
    0%
    Manhattan Clam Chowder
    3.23%
    All three!
    0%
    No thanks, I will pass
    12.90%
    I didn't know there was anything other than New England Clam Chowder
    12.90%

None please

Comment

Never heard of Rhode Island clam chowder. So what makes it different?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never tried it myself, being a NE style fan. But that recipe got me thinking about it!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        If I can talk the wife into leaving the house this weekend, I will try all 3 and report back.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm interested!

"IS THAT THE RED OR THE WHITE!?!?!?!?"

"Ahhh, I can never remember that!!...........The White?"
      (Door Opens)
      "Whats going' on Old man Dinga?!?"
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	280067

Comment

Just curious, what is Rhode island Clam chowder like? Or Manhattan Clam Chowder for that matter.......

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          As I remember Manhattan is a thin tomato based soup made with stewed tomato's rather than puree. Been a long time though and I could be off a little. I much prefer NE clam chowder and no experience with Rhode Island style.

Sorry but it just reminds me of this:

Comment

Recipe for Hobee's Restaurant Boston Clam Chowder. This recipe was a first place winner in the annual Santa Cruz, California Clam Chowder Cook-off. Ingredients

• 2 bunches celery, chopped
          • 1 1/2 pounds onions, chopped
          • 6 pounds red potatoes, diced
          • 6 cans (32-ounces each) clams with juice
          • 3 tablespoons dried thyme
          • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
          • 2 tablespoons dried basil
          • 1 cup fish bouillon
          • 2 tablespoons white pepper
          • 3 pounds butter
          • 6 cups flour
          • 6 cloves garlic
          • 1 gallon 2% milk (for a richer chowder you can use half and half)

Directions

• Combine celery, onions, potatoes, clams, thyme, oregano, basil, bouillon, and pepper; cook 30-45 minutes until vegetables and potatoes are soft.
          • Melt butter and add flour and garlic, stir constantly until slightly brown. Combine with vegetable mixture and add milk. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes.

I use 1/2 this recipe

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            2% milk! That must be Cali style!

Seriously though, I lived in Ipswich Ma most of the last 20 years, and that had an annual chowder fest, and you could buy a ticket and try as many as you were willing to stand in line for. Awesome on a nice fall day! Beer from the local brewery too!

A good Manhattan CC is fine, but NECC defines clam chowder.

Comment

I will pass...

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You just need to make sure the recipe has enough bacon. You'd be surprised at that smokey flavor!

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I will take your word on it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here