Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a political statement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a political statement!

Found a recipe for Barak Obama's chili.

There is a recipe for his chili in one of the chili books i have... not sure if it is the same or not since I don't have it in front of me right now. I haven't tried making it.

Last edited by Nate; January 30, 2017, 07:49 AM. Reason: Deleted line about subforum since the thread got redirected to the right place.

Comment

Here is LBJ's favorite chili recipe, true Texas chili.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/PedernalesChili.htm

The amount of tomatoes given in this particular version is more than most; 1 1/2 cups is the more common amount. One 15-16 oz. can should get it just fine. The tomato liquid should also be added to the pot.
      Last edited by gcdmd; January 30, 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• johnsteen
        johnsteen commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a recipe that I would follow. It sounds good.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm surprised at the tiny amount of chili powder and cumin. For 2 pounds of meat, the same amount of mater, 2 onions, and 4 cans of beans, I use 1/3 c chile powder (ancho) and 1 T cumin. Plus some hot sauce.

There has been a nice record of presidential recipes. George W Bush had a mean huevos rancheros.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Not as good as his wife's cookies recipe though...

Beans and tomatoes... no.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Beans are prohibido in Texas chili, but at least since the famous 1967 Terlingua cook-off between H. Allen Smith and Wick Fowler (Texas chili champ), in which both used tomato product (paste for Smith and sauce for Fowler) tomatoes have crept in.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        However, neither the Institute of Texan Cultures "official" version of the old chili queens recipe nor Frank Tolbert's Bowl of Red contains tomatoes or tomato product.
        Last edited by gcdmd; January 30, 2017, 04:34 PM.

Check out Ronald Reagan's flourless cake! The man had good taste! IT IS DELISH!

Editor's note: The recipe below is taken from All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House by Roland Mesnier with Christian Malard.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        What is that white stuff in the background? LOL

Willy , I'm with you. In my old book on chili, I have a piece of paper inserted with some notes I wrote to myself regarding this recipe many moons ago:

Possible changes to intensify flavor:

Double the amount of chili powder, oregano and cumin.
      Increase garlic to as much as 8 cloves.
      Replace water with strong beef or chicken broth.
      Replace some or all of the tomatoes with Ro-Tel.

I did a web search for reproductions of Lady Bird's old recipe cards and found two, and possibly a third, which appeared authentic. In one authentic appearing version she goes with two cans of Ro-Tel (diced tomatoes with green chilies).

Like you, ancho is my go to chili powder. As a general rule, one tablespoon or a bit more per pound of meat is a good rule of thumb. If I want to kick up the heat I may use some New Mexico Red or Chipotle powder or just increase the hot sauce or add some cayenne.

Last edited by gcdmd; February 5, 2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Some serious concoction here. George Washington era eggnog.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29576/making-george-washingtons-special-eggnog
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; February 7, 2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen George's eggnog recipe before, and, Gadzooks!!!

Are ya' sure that's the right link, Potkettleblack?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Whoops... Corrected...

The perils of working on a phone.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here