Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It exists! A recipe that does not lie about....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It exists! A recipe that does not lie about....

I found this on Twitter. It is true! A recipe does actually exist in which they are truthful about how long it actually takes to caramelize onions:

"Uncover the pot, raise the heat slightly and stir in salt — I start with 2 to 3 teaspoons of kosher salt. Cook onions, stirring every 5 minutes (you might be fine checking in less often in the beginning, until the point when the water in the onions has cooked off) for about 40 to 90 minutes longer. Onions are caramelized when they’re an even, deep golden brown, sweet and tender. Add sherry and scrape up any onions stuck to the pan, then simmer it until it disappears and you’re swatting strangers who crept in, enticed by the aroma, out of your kitchen."

The recipe is from https://smittenkitchen.com/2021/12/s...ib-onion-soup/ which actually does sound very tasty.

Yep. Browning onions over medium-high heat is not caramelizing them which takes time.

One thing I've done (and need to do again as I'm out) is to thinly slice the onions, add some oil to a large dutch oven and slide them into a low oven (250 or so), checking and stirring as needed. Being in an oven t here's a little less risk of you having them burn and a 5 quart DO holds a LOT of onions.

Put the finished onions in snack sized ziplock bags and, if not using soon, freeze. Or just toss them in a jar, refrigerate and use in a week or so.

Comment

Comment

HouseHomey has a recipe for carmelized onion and bacon jam

omg…….

Comment

Alton brown discussed how long in his onion soup recipe of good eats. Also talked about how many it takes.

Comment

It is funny that when I think back on everything, I think I've only truly caramelized onions maybe once. As Rick pointed out, really-browned onions are not caramelized.

Comment

Thomas Keller uses a Cartouche(?) A parchment circle on top of the onions, as they cook for a very long time.

Comment

I caramelize onions in a large batch in the crock pot, make some into French Onion Soup, and freeze the rest for burgers, dips, or for other recipes. The recipe I use is a riff on the Cook's Illustrated method:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ons#post625090

Kathryn

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I noticed this on that IP recipe page.

However, the 15-minute recipe was also panned by users.

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Kathryn, have you seen or done an adaption of this using an Instant Pot? I do not have a crock pot. I've never tried the slow cook setting on the IP, so just wondered if you have seen an adaption I could try. Otherwise, i would try the traditional method using a DO.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                GolfGeezer , your Instant Pot also has a Slow Cooker option. It works exactly like a Crock Pot, but is, in my experience, a little more efficient in bringing the food up to braising temperature compared to Crock Pots. It's best if you have a Slow Cooker lid for the Instant Pot so some evaporation can occur. Any lid that fits the IP will work.

Attjack , it's good that Serious Eats disclaimed it's IP method for this.

K.

This article I find is about the best. https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-...amelize-onions

Comment

Add butter to pan, melt butter, add onions and get onions black as soon as possible.

Comment

I admit I have never caramelized onions. Have never taken the time to do it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try it you'll like it.
                    And may I add, PBR--try it you'll it.

What they fail to tell you is the stock/liquid is more important than the onion. Great onions on French onion soup is terrible without a good liquid.

Comment

• barelfly
                    barelfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A guest appearance! hope you are doing well!

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For sure. The stock is by far the most important ingredient IMO.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here