Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Queso with real cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Queso with real cheese?

I'm thinking about making smoked Queso for the first time tonight. But I want to use real cheese. I watched Kenji Lopez-Alt make 3 incredient mac n cheese last night and he used evaporated milk to keep the cheese from clumping. Think it'll work for smoked Queso?

I also see a recipe online that uses sodium citrate.
    ​​​​​​
    Anyone have any idea, tips, or recipes?
    Last edited by Attjack; January 9, 2021, 11:15 AM. Reason: Meant to say "evaporated milk"

this is my preferred queso recipe....I've never smoked it however.
    • 1/2 pound of white american cheese
    • 1/4 cup of milk (maybe more if you want it thinner)
    • 1 tablespoon of butter
    • 1 (4 oz) can of green chili’s
    • 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
    • 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt
    • cayenne pepper – a pinch

Comment

• Maxriptin
      Maxriptin commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do as well. I mess around with the seasoning to go for different styles. I love cooking up some chorizo to put in it. And, char, peel, de-seed, and chop fine some poblanos to toss in instead of the can of chilis.

• xaugievike
      xaugievike commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that poblano idea! thank you!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if I use unprocessed cheese and evaporated milk if that would have a good result. Kenji used equal parts cheese and condensed milk.
      Last edited by Attjack; January 9, 2021, 04:44 PM.

I'm seeing other recipes using evaporated milk so I'm going to go for it.
    Last edited by Attjack; January 10, 2021, 10:52 AM. Reason: Meant evaporated milk not condensed milk

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh hell no on the condensed milk. Condensed milk is sweetened. You want to use evaporated milk.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, evaporated milk. Not condensed.

This has meat in it but the orginal recipe called for Velveeta and this sub worked great.
    Crock-Pot Spicy Beef Queso Dip

Yield: 8 to 10 servings
    Ingredients:
    • 1 pound ground beef
    • 1 yellow onion, finely diced
    • 1 large (or 2 small) jalapeños, seeded and finely minced (or Hatch Chiles roasted for less spice)
    • â…” cup water
    • 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (homemade or store-bought)(see recipe below)
    • 1 lb American cheese
    • ¾ each mild cheddar and Jack cheese
    • 2-10oz cans Rotel (or 1-14½oz San Martin DOP tomatoes chopped & 1 can green chiles)
    Preparation:
    1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add the jalapeños, water and taco seasoning; increase the heat to med-high and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
    1. In a 4 to 6qt slow cooker, add the prepared beef mixture, the Velveeta cheese and Rotel cans. Stir well and cook on low until the cheese is completely melted, 1 to 2 hours.
    1. Keep the slow cooker set to warm to serve during a party, giving the mixture a good stir before serving.

Comment

Use sodium citrate. The reason 'real cheese' doesnt work in melty applications is that the fats and proteins separate and clump. Sodium citrate prevents that from happening.

https://modernistpantry.com/products...m-citrate.html

The videos at the bottom of that page are informative too.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the idea of sodium citrate, and want to make queso or mac and cheese as an excuse to try it.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some and some sodium hexametaphosphate in order to make sliceable "processed" cheese. Need cheese now.

Did this over the summer: https://completecarnivore.com/smoked...h-real-cheese/

Comment

Definitely use the sodium citrate. It can take a block of hard cheddar and turn it into soup if you want to get it that runny. Steve R. It’s the best for Mac n cheese.

Comment

Here what I did. The evaporated milk worked well

1 lb ground beef
            1 can of rotelle
            1 can of evaporated milk
            1 white onion
            1 Garlic clove
            1 serrano pepper
            400 grams cheddar cheese
            1 T corn starch
            1/4 teaspoon of cumin
            1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Many Thanks fer sharin, Brother!

Will be tryin this, soon, like...

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely could have used some cayenne. I sauteed the onion and garlic.Tossed the cheese with the corn starch. Then combined everything. I probably smoked it for a couple hours. We had cauliflower, broccoli, apples, pretzels, and corn chips for dipping.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like it was a most Splendifferous Taste Treat, lotsa good ideals in there fer th tastin of, as wail...

Yet another thread that has taught me a ton. It never stops here.

Comment

I'm sorry, my computer must be malfunctioning. I've looked twice through this entire thread and also through the last two days of SUWYC, and I don't see a single picture of your smoked queso.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately, I didn't snap any pics. We had guests over for a fire in the backyard. I guess I got distracted. But imagine if you will a creamy cheese dip in a cast iron pan

Two videos that might be useful:

Sodium Citrate use in cheese:

A later video that talks about using Sodium Hexametaphosphate as well to make a sliceable, melty cheese:

Comment

You left out Velveeta, Say it ain't so. No PBR for you. LOL

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Leaving out velveeta was the whole point.

Meat Church has a good Youtube video on this.
                If I remember correctly he drinks Lone Star Beer and not PBR, so take it for what's worth.
                Last edited by bbqLuv; January 10, 2021, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here