Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another smoked nuts thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another smoked nuts thread

So I've been on a new eating plan lately... lean meats and green veggies at night. Low carb small meals or snacks during the day. This lends itself to 2 things: using the Weber a lot more for smaller cooks (pork chops, chicken breasts, steaks, etc,) and needing healthy snacks during the day. Almonds are my go-to mid day snack. A small handful will generally divert my hunger pangs and cravings for snacky foods. But the canned smoked almonds that I love so much are almost more sodium than almond. So I decided to make my own. I also love the wasabi soy flavored almonds. Maybe too much. Also too much sodium.

A couple days ago, after cooking some boneless pork chops, I still had some coals left and had just bought some roasted (unsalted) almonds that I had yet to dress up. These almonds turned out well. Ingredients were not measured exactly.

Take one pound of roasted, unsalted almonds and dump them in a bowl. Drizzle 1 TBSP peanut or olive oil over the nuts, try to spread it out as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the following over the nuts:
    1 teaspoon chinese 5 spice (would use more next time, but a little bit of this goes a LONG way and I didn't want to overdo it.)
    2 teaspoons garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tbs soy sauce

Mix thoroughly. Lay the nuts out on a cookie sheet, and put in the weber at about 275 until the coals burn out, which was about 2 hours. I used hickory. Turned out really tasty but not as bold as I hoped. Great smoke flavor, though. Next time, I'll skip the 5 spice and cayenne and try to find some wasabi powder, and use more soy sauce.

Last night, I found myself with some roasted, unsalted cashews and the desire for a counterpoint to the slight asian zing of the almonds, so I went for chili spice. It's not really a counterpoint... more of a harmony. A counterpoint would be something sweet, I guess. Same setup, but slightly less oil as the almonds, as cashews are already more oily than almonds. You only need enough to make the spices and smoke stick to the nuts. As Alton Brown might say: in this recipe, the oil is not an ingredient, it's hardware.
    2 tsp garlic salt
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp cumin powder (might be too much for some people, but cumin is my favorite spice)
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

I didn't get the fire quite as hot or get as much smoke flavor as I wanted - usually the oil will burn off or brown but there is still a little residual oil left on the nuts, which I don't care for usually but its not terrible here. I think I didn't put enough fuel in the SNS since I was only cooking the nuts, not doing an actual meat cook. But they're darned delicious.

Old bay and lemon comes to mind too!

Comment

I love Old Bay. It's my standard seasoned salt - I use it for a lot, but never have used it on nuts. I will try it next time.

Comment

I may try these spicy savory recipies soon; does anyone have a great sweet and spicy recipie?

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          Those sound delicious. I will add that to the list of recipes to try. I love the candied nuts you get at fairs, sporting events, and Bucees. Adding a little spicy kick to them would be excellent.

• VideoWolf88
          VideoWolf88 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's exactly what I was looking for.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          If you try the Asian Zing nuts, I would recommend using a bit more 5 spice, a lot more soy sauce (I'm trying to cut my sodium) and maybe... something else. While the almonds (ahhmunds) were good, I'd have preferred a bolder flavor and I'm not exactly sure what was missing. Maybe some gochugaru? I've thought about using a packet from some authentic Korean spicy ramen.

Spicy, savory, sweet roasted nuts are always a hit as a snack. Serve them straight, mixed with dried fruit, or sprinkled as garnish on your favorite dishes. If you don't have a smoker or grill you can make most of these recipes just fine in your indoor oven, though they will lack the deep smoky flavor of the grill.

Meathead
        I tried a few of these but they have all ended up soft and the texture is just wrong for a snacking but. Flavor is good but I need a solution for the texture problem.

I soak no more than 10 minutes and I do let them dry after cooking for at least a couple hours.
        I know the cooker is dead on 225F.
        ​​​​​​​
        Any ideas?

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't soak mine at all, or use water spritz. Just enough oil to make the spices stick and collect the smoke flava. Soy sauce is just for flavor, not for a liquid presence. Since the almonds are already roasted, the smoke isn't for roasting, it's to help the spices form a crust and gather smoke flavor. It does roast them a tad more than they were, but not a lot. They turn out extra crunchy.
          Last edited by Buck Flicks; August 20, 2018, 10:26 AM.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Meatheads recipes are for raw nuts.

I plan on trying yours also.

liking the sound of these gonna have to give it ago

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here