Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artichokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artichokes

Anyone know how to cook artichokes? Maybe on a grill?
    Many yrs ago my mom made my dad some but I was pretty young. All I know is they were for my dad and he would dip each leaf in I think Mayo.

I’ve always just baked them. Never tried grilling or smoking, but I’m sure it works.

Comment

There pretty simple to do on a grill but there are several steps.

They are wonderfully good.

There's lots of recipes and videos online for preparing and grilling. Not being lazy here but it would take a while to write out all the steps when watching a few short videos would cover it.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 8, 2017, 04:32 AM.

Comment

If you try it please post some pictures.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, please!!

I haven’t done them for years, mostly because they are best with home made mayo and I don’t usually want to make home made mayo.

Take a pair of kitchen shears and cut off the top of the artichokes, and all the spiny/woody tips of the leaves, and then trim the stem so it’s flat. Then put them standing up in a steamer pot and steam them for about 20 minutes. Eat by peeling off the leaves and dipping in home made mayo, until you finish the last ones. Then take a spoon and scoop the immature spines off the core, and eat the core whole. The core is the part you’ve been waiting for!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Some lemon juice in melted butter works pretty well as a mayo substitute.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks EdF!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Been eating them like that my whole life.

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
        I haven’t done them for years, mostly because they are best with home made mayo and I don’t usually want to make home made mayo.

Take a pair of kitchen shears and cut off the top of the artichokes, and all the spiny/woody tips of the leaves, and then trim the stem so it’s flat. Then put them standing up in a steamer pot and steam them for about 20 minutes. Eat by peeling off the leaves and dipping in home made mayo, until you finish the last ones. Then take a spoon and scoop the immature spines off the core, and eat the core whole. The core is the part you’ve been waiting for!
        I think this is exactly how my mom did it for my dad yrs ago. Dad would only share about 2 or 3 peddles with me I was like 7 I think. But it was just enough to understand that this was a very special dish my mom made for him. I understood and now that I'm nearly 60, it's my turn to try them and temp my grandkids. LOL

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The video Jon Solberg linked says to steam them for half an hour; I would look it up. I forgot about peeling the stem, yes! Do that. And, I had a stovetop pressure cooker back then and might have used it for artichokes, I don’t remember.

If you have a pressure cooker, that's the way to go...
        Artichokes are the darlings of the pressure cooker's repertoire -  tough, fibrous and tricky to get perfectly tender - the pressure cooker turns this  seemingly un-approachable vegetable into a delightful appetizer in minutes.  Trimming whole articho...

Comment

If you can get Castorville artichokes and make some of Moscas house mayo. You can scoop out the choke and grill them in half s and quarters

Comment

you can have my share of them

Comment

This is what I use and it has never failed to please. Some people don't like bitters or vinegar so you can adjust to your own taste. Of course just ignore the plate up instructions for your own use. It's quite delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9117.PNG
Views:	140
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	392261

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, that do look good!

I don't know what climate zones that are in KY, but arties are pretty easy to grow as they are just a thistle plant. When they go to seed they turn into a quite pretty flower as well.

Comment

Climate zone might be 6-7. I'll have to look. That would be interesting to grow my own next yr.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We've got 7 on the Jersey shore; I'd expect KY to be at least that warm.
                  Last edited by EdF; October 8, 2017, 03:48 PM.

Zone 6b is where I'm at.

Comment

Yeah, we're in 7b and haven't been able to get 'em going yet. Our old place on the Northern CA coast would grow them like weeds, which they are I guess. It was a thought.

Comment

Man I thought we were grilled em. Sorry I missed the intention. : )

Growing them seems hard! Grilling them is much more rewarding.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here