Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghost Pepper Jelly Rev 2 - Using Dried Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost Pepper Jelly Rev 2 - Using Dried Ghosts

I had posted a version of this recipe on gcdmd post on Hot Pepper Jelly. In this post, I used fresh Ghost Peppers.
    My wife and I are visiting our kids on the West Coast in a month and I was asking them if they wanted me to bring anything along. Besides money (only kidding) my daughter in law said, "oh, we are out of your Ghost Salt and worse, the Ghost Pepper Jelly!!!". So, being the good father in law I made up another small batch.
    This time, all I had were some dried peppers... So, did some research on re-hydrating peppers and thought I would give it a shot.

The results were great. Just as sweet and peppery and spicy hot but not so hot your are grabbing for a glass of cold milk!

Thought I would share this version - Rev 2

Ghost Pepper Jelly Rev 2 - Using Dried Peppers

4 Dried Ghost Peppers
    3 Bell Peppers - I used 2 orange and 1 red to try to keep the color close to what Ghost Peppers color is
    2 cups vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    3 oz liquid pectin

Re-hydrate the peppers by first getting a dry skillet hot, over medium-high heat. Put the dried Ghost Peppers in the skiillet for 30-40 seconds, moving them around and pressing down a bit. This helps bring out some of the oils. Don't brown them (at least too much) you just want to start to soften them - which they do some!

Put the dried and fried peppers in a glass bowl and cover them in hot water. Not quite boiling, but starting to steam water.
    Let them sit about an hour. They do indeed get soft - but wont be confused with fresh ones. They are pretty pliable and soft. At this point, I took most of the seeds out - but left all the pulp and skin. Oh yes, wear gloves at this point!!!!

Then proceed as the original recipe (which used 3 fresh Ghosts)...

Take 1 cup of the vinegar and all the peppers and puree in a blender
    Pour the puree into a large saucepan (I mean large, this stuff boils up fast and high)
    Add the other 1 cup of vinegar and sugar

Bring to a rolling boil for 10 mins. stirring all the time
    Stir in the pectin and do the rolling boil for 1 minute

Ladle into jelly jars leaving ~ 1/4" space. Put on caps and process in a boiling water bath for 10 min.

I had a few 1/2 pint jars left from the original batch (fresh) and did a side by side taste test. Very close - both are sweet with a beautiful pepper flavor then the hot/spicy sets in. Fantastic with cheese, on toast with a little butter, crackers with cream cheese... ah.

In a few weeks I am going to do a batch of ribs. Mostly MMD but on 1 rack I am going to put a little MMD and glaze with this jelly during the last hour of the smoke. Looking for that BBQ/Sweet/Hot/Pork flavor ;-)

Note:
    1) Wear gloves...
    2) I did the blender and boil in my garage. I have a short propane burner I use for beermaking. The fumes are pretty strong coming from the blender, mellowed out a bit during the boil
    3) In the original recipe, I used 3 fairly large fresh Ghost Peppers. In this version, I used 4. Most of my research said that dried lose some percentage of heat.
    4) If you pour the puree into a pot and it comes up 1/2 way.... get a bigger pot!!! When the rolling boil takes off it seems to multiply 3X-4X it's volume!!!!
    5) Since the skins were very thin and darker from the drying, I noticed lots of little "flakes" in the finished jelly. Still tasted great and didn't have any different mouth feel. Actually made an interesting looking jelly! Here are picture of Rev 1 (left) Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost Jelly (Large).jpg
Views:	366
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	299830 and Rev 2

Awesome, thanks fer sharin'!!!
    I'll haveta make me up some, now!

Comment

I love pepper jam i use Tabasco peppers and cayenne not as brave as you but it still has a nice kick. I have used it on top of meatloaf and it works great. Thanks for the post

Comment

He's baaaaaaaack!!! If this is done any where as well as the GP Salt you sent me, this stuff has gotta be unreal. Those ribs are going to be lights out. I love ghost pepper on ribs. I've shaken ground ghost pepper into my Texas Pepper Jelly to give it more kick during the saucing phase. The Bhut Jolokia has a wonderful, natural smoke flavor that goes perfect with BBQ. Make sure post some pictures of those when they come out!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Your my kinda guy JGrana I grow Carolina Reapers and I like this idea. I understand why you worked in the garage. The last time I did a Reaper hot sauce in my kitchen I boiled the peppers with vinegar and garlic then put them into a blender,and that was bad. When I pulsed the blender it blew my hand right off the lid and sprayed Reaper sauce everywhere. Thank goodness my wife wasn't home and I was wearing my glasses.

Comment

This looks really interesting. I'm going to have to give this a try. I've not looked but I'm not sure I've got access to Ghost peppers. Do you think it would be good with plain ol' Habaneros?

Comment

This is awesome. My favorite pepper is the Ghost. Nice sweet, fruity flavor and plenty hot. About 6-7 years ago I ran across a gentleman in NJ who made fruit jelly mixed with fresh Ghost peppers. The Peach-Jalokia jelly was the best jelly I've ever had. I'm gonna try your recipe once I get some more peppers!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Cooking 'em outdoors is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there, done that (indoors that is).

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got that right. I won't make that mistake again.

That recipe sounds really good

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
                  This is awesome. My favorite pepper is the Ghost. Nice sweet, fruity flavor and plenty hot. About 6-7 years ago I ran across a gentleman in NJ who made fruit jelly mixed with fresh Ghost peppers. The Peach-Jalokia jelly was the best jelly I've ever had. I'm gonna try your recipe once I get some more peppers!

Thanks for sharing.
                  Hmmm, nice idea on adding some peaches. I will be growing some Ghost's this season - think I will do a batch with peaches (assuming my peach trees bear fruit this year...)

Comment

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
                    This looks really interesting. I'm going to have to give this a try. I've not looked but I'm not sure I've got access to Ghost peppers. Do you think it would be good with plain ol' Habaneros?
                    I believe this recipe would scale fine for Habaneros. You might want to use more than 3 or 4. I would probably shoot for the 5 or six range with that much sugar and the sweet peppers.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                      JCBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks

My peppers just got delivered to the house. I'll be making a batch with this recipe tonight.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have Big Fun!!!
                      Wear gloves, goggles, respiratory mask, as needed.
                      Or don't... Y'll quickly figger out which is preferable... !!!
                      If ya' already have done, before like, please forgive th' Safety Lecture.

• Mikey C
                      Mikey C commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @Mr.Bones...Thank you I will. There's no such thing as bad safety advise.

YES!!!! I received my pepper jelly on Monday!!! This stuff has great flavor. And a slow build heat that is great. I love it on a bagel with a little cream cheese. But tomorrow night, this stuff is going on a batch of ribs!!! This is gonna be epic! I can't wait to try this, myself, when I grow a few plants this summer!

JGrana Thanks again for another shipment. You are the man!

Comment

Ok so I made some last night. Did it outside on the patio, gloves, glasses and no injuries. It came out great except it didn't set as much as
                      I think it should have. More like a glaze than a jelly. I believe I followed the recipe correct so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Its still really good though! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_203717.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	304835Click image for larger version

Name:	20170414_091530.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	304836

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Perfect for RIBS!!!!!! I am using mine tonight!

• JGrana
                        JGrana commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry to hear. I have done 3 batches so far. One thing I can think of... make sure you start the 10 min count after the stuff gets to a strong rolling boil.
                        After stirring in the pectin, lets it get back to a strong rolling boil and count the minute.

• JGrana
                        JGrana commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great looking color - how is the flavor?

JGrana I'm thinking the boil might have been the problem also. I used a portable burner out on the patio to avoid the fumes. I'm thinking it wasn't boiling as hard as it needed. The flavor was outstanding. It's like crack, put it next to some crackers and cream cheese and you can't stop. Even my wife who thinks black pepper is to hot enjoyed it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here