Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Than Normal Cocktail Sausages/Meatballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Than Normal Cocktail Sausages/Meatballs

Better Than Normal Cocktail Sausages

These cocktail sausages are, I think, better than the typical sausage or meatball dish served at so many potlucks. Vary the sauce ingredients as you wish to make it sweeter or tangier. In place of the sugar and pomegranate juice, you can use grape jelly, but the pomegranate juice is better in my opinion. Obviously, you can use different sausages or meatballs as well. If you use the little cocktail wienies, I recommend slicing them in half to help with browning and fat/grease reduction. I actually used to make this dish as a main course (using grape jelly) when my kids were little. I served it over rice.

Ingredients
    3 pounds rope Kielbasa, andouille, whatever sliced into 1/8 to ¼-inch thick rounds/ovals
    1 cup pomegranate juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 12-ounce bottle chili sauce
    4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) vinegar
    1 Tbsp ancho (or other) chile powder
    Hot sauce to taste
    1-2 onions, sliced thinly (optional)

Directions

In a CrockPot set to high heat, mix the sugar, pomegranate juice, ancho powder, and chili sauce. Put the vinegar into the chili sauce bottle and shake to get the remaining chili sauce out. Dump into CrockPot
    In a Dutch oven or large skillet, brown the sausage slices over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Be sure not to crowd the pan so that most of the slices can brown well. Get ‘em a bit crispy. Spoon the sausage slices out with a slotted spoon to drain the fat and place slices in CrockPot. Add the optional onion slices to the empty pan and cook until nicely browned. Spoon these out and into the CrockPot. To make it seem sexier, deglaze the pan with a half cup or so of red wine you want to get fancy, drain the grease from the pan and deglaze with a bit of red wine or water and dump this into the CrockPot. Cook for several hours until the sauce thickens and gets a bit sticky. I like the thickened, sticky sauce, but you don’t have to cook it so long if you prefer a thinner sauce.
    Serve straight from the CrockPot or pour into a chafing dish.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here