Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeno poppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeno poppers

I usually try and make a new to me recipe for myself and my wife and who ever happens to be over at my house before making it for a party or event. I've tried making poppers the split method with the olive that meathead describes in his recipe but to be honest I found cleaning the jalapenos too much work for too little payoff.
    I had my eye on the King Kooker Stainless-Steel 36-Hole Jalapeno Rack with Corer on amazon and I pulled the trigger the other week(use the link from this site to help benefit it!).

I mixed up the Home-made Boursin-style Cheese Spread recipe the night before to let the flavors come together.

I added half of the bacon to the stuffing mix and reserved half of the bacon slices to wrap the poppers while smoking. I figured that they'd soak up the smoke and add something nice to the mix plus I'm a sucker for improvisation.

I sliced the raw bacon in half and wrapped the poppers and skewered with toothpicks. This was also really helpful for a few of the smaller peppers that would have otherwise fallen through the rack if placed vertically.

I started my coals in my weber chimney and I went a bit hotter then the recommended 225. When I put the poppers into the weber the temp was around 315. My apple wood was smoking quite a bit and I put the lower vents on full close and upper vents on about 75% close, sat next to the grill drinking a new to me octoberfest pumpkin beer until the temperature started creeping down. I also burped the grill after about 10 min to let some of the heat out. Once it dropped to about 275 I cracked the lower vent and allowed the temps to rise to about 300-310 where temp remained until I pulled them off.

I used the very scientific method of slightly squeezing the sides of the non wrapped poppers until they gave enough to my satisfaction that they were partially cooked. Then I gave a glance to the bacon and a quick touch to assure myself that it was cooked.

The picture that I'm attaching shows them at about 80-90% done.

The top with the filling got a nice light color and the bacon was just slightly crisp when I pulled them off.

I enjoyed both myself, but my wife said that the bacon wrapped ones were the clear winner.

I'll make them again for sure.

For those that would rather not spend the money on a rack, a cardboard egg crate works well. Absorbs the bacon grease and doesn't burn, as long as it is over the indirect side of the grill.
    Your poppers look great. Bacon is always the best option. Need to start making your own. Can't be beat

Comment

Oh I have made my own bacon, several times actually. I just didn't have any on hand for this cook.

Comment

I also have the SS rack from Amazon. It is ok, but it is fussy about the size and shape of the peppers going into it. The nice thing about making your own poppers is that you have so many options on fillings and what peppers to use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here