Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked cream cheese: ever do or have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked cream cheese: ever do or have?

Hey everyone,

I'm doing my last smoke before our move to opposite corner of the country this Sunday. Cooking under a tend because it's going to be raining.

I'm smoking some turkey, and regular German style ring bologna and some beef bologna. Gonna do "burnt ends" style 3 ways, sweet, hot, & hot & sweet.

I figured, I'm experimenting w/ that low stakes cook, why not try something else too, like smoked cream cheese.

Anyone here ever do it or eat it?
    If so, how did you do it?
    How did you like it?
    How did you eat it (i.e. what on)?

I'll report back after my cook.

Have a good weekend!
    JD​

I’ve cooked it and eaten it. I like to just score it with my knife, create a diamond pattern, use your favorite rub and smoke on 250°F. After about 1.5 hours I start basting with your favorite sauce. Take it off and serve with crackers, we use Wheat Thins(the bigger ones). I cook it on a small sheet of foil to keep it together.

I’ve eaten it this way numerous times, I’ve seen it served with pepper jelly on top, served with a SW type rub and a picante/salsa poured over top of it and corn chips. Lots of different ways to skin that cat….

Comment

It's my easy go-to appetizer that is always a crowd pleaser. Start with cold block, cover it with a favorite rub, cut a diamond pattern on top that will open up when smoking. after about 1.5 hours at 225 F. i use a companion sauce poured over the top.
      a BBQ rub and BBq sauce, taco seasoning and salsa, Italian herb and herb unfused olive oil. I cook on a frog mat and use a fish spatula to get off the smoker.

Comment

I’ve done it a ton of times. I’ve done it for as little as 90 minutes and as long as 3 hours. I prefer a little longer myself. My wife and kids, who don’t really like cream cheese like this. My kids love it. My SIL likes to drizzle some infused honey on it when she does it. I’m not crazy about that but to each their own. She does hers in a small cast iron pan and I usually will put 2 bricks in an aluminum pan.

Comment

Yes - I've done the smoked cream cheese several times lately. I do recommend scoring it as others said. I didn't the first time and they kind of burst open in the middle! I put a bbq rub I like on it, smoke it for an hour or two, and then top it with a mild pepper jelly from the store. Folks dig into that, and the warm smoky cream cheese is amazing on some crackers!

I smoke 2 blocks in a cast iron skillet or disposable aluminum pan, depending on if I am serving it at home or taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Yes I have. Memphis dust on the cheese and then I combined it with the chopped habanero.

I used it on a burger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220930_082743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	1301676

Comment

I've done it multiple times as well - I don't do anything but smoke the block - no scoring, no rub, etc. I don't use it as a dip, though that sounds good, I've used it in armadillo eggs and Texas twinkies, etc.

For those who aren't a fan of the really sharp tang cream cheese can have, smoking it can tone that down and give it another dimension of flavor that really complements it well, in my opinion.

In short, big fan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	231
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1301819​

Comment

I’ve smoked cream cheese multiple times. I like it spread on crackers or bagels. It’s great on carrots and celery also. Last time I made it for a gift. I bought two blocks of cream cheese and split each one in half. I make sure I put parchment paper under it. I found it would somewhat stick to aluminum foil.

Name:	81A9B42C-F3EF-4D6C-BDB7-7324E98C04E1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1301958

Name:	D398B29C-1CCD-4005-ABAF-F472F73A13CE.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	1301957

Clockwise from bottom left:
                Sweet Heat BBQ rub
                Sweet Mustard BBQ rub
                Everything Bagel Seasoning
                Garlic Herb

I smoked it for 1 1/2 hours on my pellet grill at 235°.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow those turned out gorgeous!

I did 3 blocks of cream cheese on Tuesday. Well-chilled in the fridge for a couple of hours once they got home from the grocery store. 2 hours at 200 degrees on my CC Woodwind. Cherry pellets. I put all 3 on one sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil so they were about 1/2 inch away from each other. I scored them on the top before putting the rubs on all sides. (Scoring first lets the rub and smoke get down in the"open" areas). I don't bend the edges of the foil up, want to make it easy for the smoke to get to them. I used 2 rubs from Heaven Sent... It's Incredible... and Blackened Cajun. The third block got Plowboy's Yardbird. Took them to a church small group meeting at a friend's house. They were a big hit! We had Triscuit, Big Wheat Thins, and a smaller gluten free cracker. All the rubs are gluten free.

Sorry about no pics this time, but you are welcome to fantasize, I mean imagine, how they looked!
                Last edited by SmokingSteve; October 1, 2022, 01:09 AM. Reason: Added cracker info.

Comment

I’ve done it once recently. It was good. Use it as a spread.

Comment

MMD, not too long or too hot, dries it out. All above sounds great. After you smoke it w/ MMD
                    put that bad boy in the middle of a 50/50 pork n beef meatloaf w/ Meathead’s KC style sauce in a trench on top! OMGawd Becky! Too Good!

Comment

Can't wait to try this!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here