Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot sweet stuffed peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot sweet stuffed peppers

I thought a while about where to put this, but decided that because of how it is consumed, it is a snack/munchie/appetizer. Mods, if it needs to be moved, please help!

One of the advantages of living in semi-rural NEPA is that we have a lot of traveling farmer’s markets, and they bring a lot of local preserves. We were at a market on Friday, and I saw this, and bought it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4252C376-5431-4A23-B9C8-B27DD0867DD0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	1299032

Click image for larger version  Name:	D4714D8C-60E2-4075-980F-9F02B4D13912.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1299033

Click image for larger version  Name:	26DF822B-3B55-4412-A625-8B56AFE2B33B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1299034

Now. Around here, stuffed hot peppers generally means what we call "poppers": red or green hot cherry peppers stuffed with salami and sharp provolone, in an oil or hard vinegar pickle. (Like in some parts of the US giardiniera is in vinegar, others it’s in oil.) They’re really good! I think most of the US has poppers, everyone pretty much knows what they are.

But these? Oh, no.

I took one taste and I immediately recognized these. This is cowboy candy! What you got here is hot red cherry peppers, stuffed with shredded cabbage and pickled like cowboy candy. And, oh my goodness. It’s incredible.

For anyone who makes cowboy candy regularly (Mosca raises his hand), this is a must try. It’s got a texture thing going on with the pepper and the shredded cabbage that is addictive. As you can see, I’ve eaten more than half the jar in less than 2 days.

Just make this, and substitute hot red cherry peppers stuffed with finely grated cabbage for the jalapeños. I’m not sure what the turmeric is for, or how much to use; does it add color, or act as a preservative, or add a little flavor? IDK.

I won’t get to this for a while yet, we still have a stupid number of house projects I’m working on. But I am 100% confident that this is an easy first batch success. Cowboy candy is ridiculously easy, and that’s what this is.

Meathead I’m going to tag you because you might want to add it as a variant on the web page. This fits what we do here perfectly.

Interesting. Never thought of using cabbage in a stuffed pepper.

Comment

I’ve seen this "brand" at a farm market near me. Will look for these. Thanks!

Comment

On a scale of 1-10, With 10 very hot. How hot are they.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          About a 2. They give a little buzz that lasts about 15 seconds.

I may try to find them thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here