Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baloney bloom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baloney bloom

I believe that it was here on Amazing Ribs that I saw blooming baloney mentioned. A brief YouTube search revealed the procedure that I modified to produce my version of Blooming Baloney Burnt Ends. In the video a small chunk of wood was placed under the crosshatched baloney chunk to encourage it to "bloom". I spent a few minutes in the shop to turn a "baloney mandrel" (admittedly, a uni-tasker) which lends more support and shape for the baloney chunk. Wrapping the mandrel in a square of foil keeps it clean and prevents burning. Placing the mandrel/baloney on a small cooling rack allows easy movement of the assembly.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7422.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1250007

Name:	DSCN7716.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1250008

Name:	DSCN7717.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1250014
    To cut the crosshatch pattern on the baloney, I placed a chopstick on either side of the chunk to gauge and limit the cuts.

Name:	DSCN7719.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1250010
    I placed the baloney chunk on the mandrel to open it up, brushed it with chili oil, added a rub, and placed it on the pellet smoker at 300°.

Name:	DSCN7722.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1250009

Name:	DSCN7725.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1250012

Name:	DSCN7728.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1250011
    I removed the baloney from the smoker after ~45 minutes when it was done to my liking. This makes a novel and tasty snack when served with a variety of BBQ and/or Dipping sauces.

Name:	DSCN7738.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1250013

OMG how cool is that. Thanks!

I like the use of Fly by Jing's Zhong sauce. Good call. I bet that was tasty.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 8, 2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• willsands
      willsands commented
      Editing a comment
      A tube of Ritz crackers, hot pepper rings, and a chunk of good baby Swiss from the Amish country cheese shop, all washed down with a new, to me, American Wheat Ale made for a nice lunch.

Smoked baloney is so underrated. Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      It isn’t particularly healthy, but I think Spam is underrated, too.

Well done!

Comment

Love it! I need to make one of those. I have a wood shop so easy peasy. What are the approximate dimensions please?

Comment

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        The scale in the photo is 6 inches. The mandrel is ~ 5" dia X 1½" tall. That chunk of baloney was ~ 5¼ dia. I didn't measure the radius, just turned until it looked like a baloney mandrel.

All the above, plus
      I would pair that with PBR

Comment

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to drink PBR when I was a teenager. That was a long time ago. Maybe I'll find a sixpack of PBR and it will make me young again.

For the block, most You Tube videos just use a small 1.5" x 1.5" chunk of wood. I'm thinking of using one of the ceramic spacers, wrapped in foil, that I use to hold the drip pan when in kamado mode with my WSCGC.

Kathryn

Comment

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        I found the small block didn't provide the necessary support to allow the baloney to bloom evenly. Maybe your spacer will work better. Do you have a VW hubcap in your junk drawer?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably any dog dish wheel cover would work

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably have to search for an older and smaller hubcap made of metal. I believe that most new wheel covers are chrome plated plastic.
        I just realized that a ceramic bowl with the proper radius might work well.

Now I am Totally confused. Baloney or Bologna. What is the correct blooming spelling?
      Never-the-less, I got try that!

Comment

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't have an opinion for the spelling question. Either way, we all know what we are discussing and agree that it's good stuff, no matter the label.

I have a BGE and they come with a ceramic cap that I never use. It has a button like handle on the top. You have thinking that it might work as a mandrel and open up the baloney even more. I will have to give it a try since I have been meaning to smoke some baloney for a while now.

Comment

• willsands
        willsands commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I have a Green Egg with the ceramic cap that is used to smother the lump. Mine has a knob rising above the cap. I don't believe that that profile would support the baloney as a properly radiused base. A couple of layers of heavy foil draped over the cap/knob and tucked under before adding the baloney might help the situation. I haven't tried that setup.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        willsands Ihave MiniMax BGE which might work better since the cap is smaller. I like the foil idea.

Very cool!

Comment

That is outstanding. Presentation off the charts!

Comment

That looks so cool!!! I made Baloney burnt ends for a graduation party and they were a huge hit!!

Comment

My last attempt at smoked bologna was just OK, I think a better tasting chub would have made a big difference. Looking in the deli cases there are many different kinds... German, kosher, lebanon, kunzler,etc. Any advice on the best bologna to use for smoking?

Comment

• willsands
              willsands commented
              Editing a comment
              WunderBar, Kahn's, and Russer are the brand names that I prefer in my area. I tend to favor the all meat over all beef varieties. I believe that most delis will give out small tasting samples to help folks decide what they prefer. Also, I find that the price is not a reliable indicator of what I prefer.

National flower of the USA?

Comment

• willsands
              willsands commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe we should petition for that. Blooming baloney does have many favorable attributes.

Will need to try some of that

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here