Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking recommendations please

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B84DCF3-EE87-4741-A931-D1D2F6D8F1E2.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	997809 I came across this tuna at my local grocery store, normally I would sear both sides in a skillet and leave the middle raw , but seeing the instructions on the packing it says to broil, seems that may cook it all the way through? Any suggestions on how to cook would be appreciated as I’ve not much experience in the seafood cooking area ... yet😀

Assuming it's really sashimi grade and very fresh, I think your instincts are correct - I'd coat with some coarsely ground coriander seed and maybe black pepper, sear no more than 30-60 seconds per side. If it's very cold out of the fridge, I'd apply the rub and let it sit for 30 mins on the counter (presuming it's not hot where you are).

Basically, do this: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1911894
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 1, 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree. Seared.

• Whiskeyman53
      Whiskeyman53 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how I would do it, quick sear to form a crust on the outside and very rare inside. A minute at the most on a screaming hot cast iron skillet. Everything bagel seasoning is also a great rub for tuna.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! 👆 X 4
      Last edited by FireMan; March 2, 2021, 09:13 AM.

Whiskeyman53 I happen to have everything bagel seasoning, thanks for the idea!

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      We LOVE that seasoning. Great on any fish...we put it on salmon a couple of times per week 👍

I'd say go WILD with it!

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      "Tuna GONE WILD!" Could be a special show on HBO?

Grill hot and fast, with a little salt and pepper, tartar sauce, and lemon on the side.
    happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      You just reminded me of the lemon I have that needs used😆

We used to live in Panama City Beach for 14 years and we had a 27' Proline to fish and play with. We like using Tones (from Sam's Club, sodium is not high) Cajun seasoning mixed with olive oil to the consistency of a light cream soup. Get my GriddleGrate up to 425, put my mix one one side of the fish and cook for 75 seconds putting my mix on the side up, turn it over and sear the other side for 75 seconds. Put a dollop of garlic butter on a plate drizzled with olive oil and put the hot fish on top and enjoy....with an adult beverage of course.

Comment

I use this simple marinade from Ina Garten on tuna,salmon,swordfish
      6 T Olive oil, 3 T soy sauce,2 T Dijon and 2 chopped cloves of garlic
      wisk it up and marinate for however long you want or baste the fish as you cook it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        simple and easy to remember, thanks, have to give it a try next time.

Open the package. It should have minimal smell. If it has minimal smell cook it rare. Sear the exterior as quickly as possible and as soon as you get the desired maillard reaction stop cooking. If it has a somewhat strong "fishy" smell, you are going to want to cook it to at least medium.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, and don't buy super fresh fish, then hang onto it for days

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here