Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Albacore Tuna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Albacore Tuna

We signed up for the 3 month Sitka Salmon Share program. This week we got some Albacore Tuna and Sablefish. I've never made the Albacore Tuna. It appears to be a very firm and dense fish. I've grilled lots of fish but not Albacore Tuna. Does anyone have any good ideas for me?

Tuna steaks, oh yeah. So good. Nice firm, easy to grill. Tried if for the first time in my life this summer now my fav.

Comment

Tuna usually takes on flavor very easily so be careful if you are marinating.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll go farther. Do not marinate. There's little point in getting great fish direct, then covering all of the flavors of it. Rather, rub or brush on a glaze or use a dipping sauce (ponzu is classic for this).

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is good advice - I do put a little soy sauce on as a substitute for salt. I don't let it sit on too long.

A perfect cut for cooking on a griddle. You want a nice sear on the outside and just cooked through - when you see the bands start to separate. If you've cooked sword fish, it is similar as a cooking food, although the tuna is not as firm.

The other way is pan sear, barely cooking the inside.

Comment

+1 to what GolfGeezer said. Sear hot and fast on the plancha, leaving the center rare. Wonderful. You can season simply with salt and pepper, or get creative and coat with things like crushed macadamia nuts.

We'll be receiving our Sitka Salmon Shares shipment today and can't wait to have the Albacore.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Another rub I like when doing that is... coriander. And pepper. Yes, the stuff I use on pastrami but ground a bit finer.

Hot and Fast! Rare in the middle. As stated above.

Comment

This is a glaze if you will that I use on salmon,tuna, swordfish,halibut.
          simple and delicious Click image for larger version  Name:	88336002-DC4C-4FBB-8FDF-39127E939F76.png Views:	0 Size:	203.2 KB ID:	938297

Comment

I prefer to cook it rare with only a hot surface sear and that's it. Albacore can be drier and crumblier than the more grill-friendly ahi/yellowfin or bluefin in my limited experience. I prefer to dip it as opposed to marinading it.

Comment

Not a big fan of albacore, more into ahi or yellowfin. But yes I agree with everyone else, hot and fast on the back side of a grill grate is how I cook tuna. I would also encourage you to try the following marinade I did a few times, it brings out an umami note which pairs well with tuna;

Grilled Miso Sesame Tuna

Comment

I use some high temp oil and a cast iron griddle. Get that griddle screaming hot and let it sear for 45 seconds a side. That is my favorite way to do it. Let it rip!

Comment

This channel is now supposed to be restricted to "Recipes Only." There is a Read This First post at the top of the channel which explains in detail what to do. Questions about technique, etc., liked this one, are supposed to go here. I think this thread should be re-directed.

Huskee

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here