Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat heads Salmon recipe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat heads Salmon recipe question

What type of salmon is best for Meathead's Fancy Salmon recipe? I've done it quite a few times but I can't recall which type is ideal. Thanks!! Hope everyone is doing well!!!
    -Spinaker

I just got some fresh stuff from the store that still had skin attached, worked great for me, not a big salmon area here in East Texas

Comment

I think it would be whichever you prefer. Second answer is the freshest you can get. Good timing....I'm going to try it for the first time this weekend.

Comment

Spinaker , FWIW, here's what Meathead has to say about salmon in his Seared Salmon recipe's background info section: Farm raised salmon is common and cheap nowadays, and it can be darn tasty. Because the fish eat a specially formulated feed they don't get the beautiful bright orange color of wild salmon, so often the processors add food coloring. By law this must be on the label. I have no problem with farm raised salmon, but I do have a problem with artificially colored salmon. There's probably nothing unhealthy about it, but the idea just ticks me off. Just sell me the fish!
        But for taste and texture, nothing beats fresh line caught wild salmon in spring. The ne plus ultra is Copper River Salmon from Alaska. Be prepared to fork over at least $15/pound and as much as $30. But if you cook it this way, you will not regret the expense.

For smoked salmon, I always use Alaskan wild-caught. I haven't tried any other type.

Kathryn

Comment

Agree with Kathryn. I didn't mention farm raised b/c I never even think of it. Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish.

Comment

Mine said Chile on the label.

The paper bag trick works great.

Comment

I live in Alaska. Whenever I BBQ salmon I prefer (as do most folks here) in this order Chinook or King is no 1 Sockeye or Red is no 2 and Coho or Silver is no 3. There are two other types of pacific salmon Chum and Pink but they are neither as common or as good.
              Chinook is oily and delicate. Sockeye is stronger flavored and oily but not quite so as Chinook. Silver is delicate mild and dryer than the other two. I prefer Sockeye to can and smoke and Chinook to eat fresh.
              Personally I am not a big fan of Silver but a lot of people are so it comes down to personal preference.

As for farmed salmon I haven't eaten it much because I don't have to, I get my own from the river here. However I have eaten it and I would say that most people (not ALL people) probably cannot tell the difference. I see how the ocean resources are dealt with here and not to get political but I would say people need to get used to farmed fish because in another 20 or 30 years it may be all that is available. Much as farmed shrimp is today.

Comment

Thanks, for all the help guys/gals. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here