Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salmon

Wild pacific salmon is in season. I am lucky enough to live close to a grocery store that flys fresh sockeye in from the B.C. coast. The deep red flesh is a thing of beauty no? When the fish is this fresh and awesome, I keep it simple. I salted it and crumbled some brown sugar over top just before throwing onto the One Touch. It was then smoked using a small chunk of Apple over indirect heat until firm to the touch (the fillet was a bit thin to get an accurate reading with my digi). This is one of my top three favorite foods, fresh fish with great salmon flavour complemented with the subtle taste of applewood, outstanding, if you are lucky enough to see fresh wild salmon at the store buy it (don't look at the price tag)!
    Last edited by bbqoaf; June 15, 2015, 05:21 PM.

SAWEET!!

Love salmon!

Comment

Awesome!!
      And considering I used to get it for "free" as my own catch (boats are expensive!) I blanched at the prize of frozen at my butcher's. But after cooking it up and tasting that familiar fresh taste it was worth every penny!
      Your salmon looks gorgeous and I love the simple smoke taste, jealous!!

Comment

That looks fantastic! What temperature do you keep the kettle at to smoke your salmon?

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually didn't even use my maverick for this one. On a thin, relatively small piece of fish I knew it would be a quick cook so I lit about 20 coals or so and let it do its thing. My target for fish would be my usual low and slow temp range for red meats which is 225 - 260 or so.

Good job! Apple wood and salmon is a great match.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here