Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Seared Ahi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Seared Ahi

Click image for larger version  Name:	428E87BA-9FCD-41B2-9284-D174498640B8.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	776794

Tonight I seared Ahi tuna. If I had it to do over, I would have seared hotter. I was afraid of burning the seasoning. Nevertheless, it was still darn good.

I dry brined the fish with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per pound of fish for several hours. I blotted the surface dry with paper towels, and seasoned with:

——
    Marietta's Fish Rub Recipe

Ingredients

1 tablespoon dried chives
    1 tablespoon dried tarragon
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 tablespoon dried chervil
    1 tablespoon freshly ground dried green peppercorns
    1 tablespoon dried lemon peel, ground
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Crush all the ingredients so they are about the same size. You can crush them in a mortar and pestle, or in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
    ——

I coated the fish with avocado oil and seared on a hot griddle about 1 1/2 minutes per side. My griddle was at about 450 degrees but, in retrospect, I should have given ‘er all she got.

I have leftovers, and I’m a little nervous about keeping rare fish for more than a day. My plan is to reheat leftovers via soups vide at 131 degrees for about 45 minutes, and serve with this wine sauce:

——

1 shallot, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup dry white wine
    juice from 1 lemon
    6 1/2 Tablespoons butter, cut into 1 Tablespoon chunks
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced

Melt 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the shallot and garlic clove. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook them until the shallots are tender and start to turn golden. Deglaze the skillet with the white wine and then add the lemon juice. Turn the heat up to high and reduce the liquid until it has reduced to half the amount.

Turn off the heat and whisk in the butter, one Tablespoon at a time. The sauce will become thick and velvety.

Add the parsley to the sauce.
    ——

I’ve used this wine sauce on Tuna steaks before, and I think it is a winner.

Last edited by Charley Langer; December 7, 2019, 10:56 PM.

Ahi seared rare is simply a delightful presentation. I especially like your seasoning. My daughter wants me to make some soon, may try your concoction!! Well done !!

Comment

looks great , I love ahi!!

Comment

That looks just wonderful! I really like tuna seared like you did. Nice job!

Comment

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Comment

Nicely done! Thanks for the great report for those like me that would like to replicate it!

Comment

The next evening, I couldn’t make myself turn the sous vide up to 131. I bought good quality fish, and I felt comfortable cooking it sous vide at 115 for 45 minutes, which was plenty of time to make the wine sauce I posted above.

It was really darn good, and kinda like a rebirth of a good meal. You know how one night you do tri-tip, and the next night you make tri-tip tacos? It’s not like you’re having leftovers. Similar, but different and amazing! That’s how I would compare repurposing seared ahi the next night with sous vide and a nice white wine sauce.

That said, I work for a Department of Health that includes your local restaurant inspectors. While I deal with haz mat, I get the food safety speeches all the time. USDA recommended minimum for tuna is 145. 😁

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here