Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Paella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Paella

Huskee I didn't know where to post Paella so please move it if you have to.

Fogging, cool, and rainy. Great day for a hike and my first crack at MH's chicken thigh and chorizo paella. It was really good! If you on the fence about doing this I say go for it. I used broccoli instead of green beans in the recipe. Wife just kept saying "Mmmm", "Mmmm", "Mmmm". She doesn't like spicy or sausage and she ate all of it. Good enough for me!

Some critiques. I used a 17" pan so I think I could of used more oil and broth. And next time I won't brown the chicken as long. It seemed just wee bit dry. I got some very flavorful, crispy, and blackened what I think is socarrat (?). I have never had paella so I have nothing to compare it to. I imagined the bottom of the rice would form almost a crust which it did not so I don't know if I actually achieved it or not. The rice kernels caramelized and blackened as individuals and not together. If someone has a pic of socarrat and would post it here it would be appreciated.

Here's the cook (and a few pics of this morning hike).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_125359.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	752678

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_135511.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	752679

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_142731.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	752680

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_144357.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	752681

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_144807.jpg Views:	1 Size:	506.5 KB ID:	752682

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_094945.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	752683

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_100912.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	752684
    Last edited by Mudkat; October 6, 2019, 02:45 PM.

Nice one, looks great!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik!

Paella looks fantastic!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq

Nice! Paella is almost always good even if (like mine) not perfect. And, you get to enjoy eating your practice rounds!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points!

Looks spot on to me. Nicely done.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir!

That looks great.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

Looks great Mudkat I’m making a seafood version tonight myself. Shrimp and lobster.
    Oh. Really nice setting and views.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve B. Enjoy the seafood paella! That'll be my next one.

I just remembered that I used to eat paella in Barcelona in the early '70s. I was in the Navy, and we anchored near Barcelona several times. Some of us would go to Los Caracoles located just off Las Ramblas. I remember they were roastin' whole chickens in front of the restaurant on long, (maybe 6' long?), skewers and they were roasted vertically in front of a wood fire. But we always got a huge platter of seafood paella and shared it along with several bottles of Spanish red wine. Good times...

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like fun!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I enjoy hearing about memories like this. Thanks, RonB .

K

Maybe you could practice on us at the next Va, Md, DC meatup!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehhehheh

Great looking Paella and nice hiking views also.

Comment

Man, I hope it tasted as good as it looks. Nice job.

Comment

Looking good my friend! One layer of coals? I didn’t read it.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes HouseHomey. One full chimney of lit = one layer on 22" kettle. Math I can do in my head. 😀

Hiking followed by a great meal. Life is good. Congrats!

Comment

Beautiful! Paella is on my to do list.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Baby paella. Hee hee hee.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Mudkat Hahahaha

The paella looks beautiful, but the land on your hike is stunning!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here