Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot sauce for oysters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot sauce for oysters?

Hi all, I’m planning to serve a few oysters soon, and I’d like to serve them like a lot of Americans eat them: with a dash of hot sauce. Now I know there are many sauces out there, but is there a ‘common’ one that y’all could recommend? Preferably not too hot, so it suits most people’s palate.

Thanks!

I like Tabasco. It adds just enough heat and bitterness. For my tastes anyway.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a simple man when it comes to oysters. Tabasco does the job just fine. Anything more flavorful ruins the oyster for my tastes and anything hotter or less hot just isn't right. Now on everything else I have a preferred hot sauce for every food type and stock at least 5 varieties minimum at all times.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on. Tabsco, Bloody Mary mix and a bit of extra course pepper.

In SA we love them with Tabasco sauce and they come in different strengths.

Comment

Tobasco is probably the most common hot sauce in the U.S., although it is really pretty tame as far as hot sauces go. It has more of a vinegar taste than anything else, imo. Other hot sauces with similar flavor (and hotness) profiles are the brands Louisiana and Crystal.

Comment

Louisiana or Frank's. I grew up on Frank's. Neither one is overly hot too me.

Comment

• OSB
          OSB commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't go wrong with Frank's.

I’ll echo Tabasco. Although I have had them with Crystal, and they were good.

Oh wait, never mind, I’m Canadian. 😀

Comment

Try zatarans Cajun hot sauce for oysters. It has minced garlic in it to. I like it as the base for my buffalo sauce as well.

Comment

Oysters are a Gulf state staple, as such all "louisianna" style hot sauces are what I'd consider traditional for oysters.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Ever been to Lee & Rick's?

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              no, have not.

Thank you all for the quick replies! The Tabasco sauce is readily available in all stores here, so that’s a no-brainer.

Now, just because I’m curious, I’m not saying I’m gonna use it, but: would you consider the "Try Me original Tiger sauce" a good substitute? I really like its vinegary tang, which I *think* should be a good match for the oysters.

And yes, I’m gonna grill the oysters (of course) for 30 seconds over charcoal first. And then place back in the shells. After all, this is a bbq forum :-)

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Grill them in the shells.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF, you’re a wise man. I’ll give it a go!

• djl
              djl commented
              Editing a comment
              Tiger sauce is milder on the heat with a slightly different taste profile. Haven't tried it on oysters, but seems like it would be good.

Tabasco ... red for heat and vinegary ... green for milder with great jalepeno flavor.

Comment

I am a fan of Franks Red Hot Sauce. Fairly hot but not Ghost/Reaper pepper hot. It also has some body to it.

Comment

Tabasco + horse radish + sambal for the best blow your head off oysters on the half shell (fresh Gulf oysters for sure)

Comment

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also love horseradish on oysters but I mix it with Franks Red Hot and roasted garlic.

Horseradish and Texas Pete.

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely + 1

A lot of folks like little more than a dash of fresh lemon, but Crystal is probably the best for oysters because it's a bit more vinegary (think mignonette).

Comment

Tabasco is pretty hot IMO. Cholula is a nicely flavored milder hot sauce. My oldest son loves it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here