Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seafood Boil Equipment Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafood Boil Equipment Recommendations

I'd like to get into seafood boil cooking, but I have no idea what equipment I need to buy.

I'd like to cook shrimp, crab, craw fish, potatoes, corn, and onions. I'd be cooking for 4-6 people in my back yard.

I would greatly appreciate recommendations on equipment, including sizes and preferred manufacturers, with safety being the first consideration.

Thank you very much.

Check these guys out.
    Official home of the Original Cajun Fryer, Smokin' Cajun Grill, Cajun Express Smoker, Cajun Broiler and other R&V Works products.

Comment

I just have a Turkey Fryer. It works good.

Comment

Turkey fryer with a self draining basket would work just fine for ya. Here's one example:

Comment

Check out https://www.webstaurantstore.com/273...cessories.html Insanely low prices on large pots with strainers.

Comment

I use a Bayou Classic cooker I picked up from one of the big box stores. 10 qt with steamer basket does great, and is just the right size for the capacity that you need.

Comment

It's hard to beat the versatility of a camp stove. You can do your seafood boils this summer, use it for canning, add a flat top griddle for camping or backyard outdoor cooking.

Comment

You want a large pot with a strainer as already suggested, and I suggest a stand alone burner like a turkey fryer. Camp stoves don’t put out the btu’s to bring a big 5-7 gallon pot to a boil as quickly as a 60,000+ btu burner.

i have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...-1-spons&psc=1

Comment

• jerrybell
                jerrybell commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware there was such a difference in output. I think my Camp Chef is 30k BTU burners. It works great for canning but a seafood boil might be taxing.

We use a big turkey fryer. Every fall, we do a family party where we cook about 8-10 or so whole lobsters. It works fine. If you are just doing lobsters, you don't need a basket. I believe we have the Cajun Injector brand with a 30 quart pot. It was pretty reasonably priced as I recall. Also came with a shallower fish pot and basket.

Comment

Stick with stainless steel for whatever pot/steamer/strainer you decide on. Any recipes that call for vinegar or other acidic ingredients (tomatoes, citrus, etc.) in the boil can react with aluminum, possibly causing off flavors and discoloring/pitting the pot.

Comment

We use a 12qt stainless stock pot. Works well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here