Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Brine Bath (Baja)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Brine Bath (Baja)

I just returned from a week in Baja. I learned (at least at our hotel) that they soak whatever fish they cook in a brine bath first. Typical salt and sugar. They said about 10 minutes. I typically use 1/4c salt and 1/4c sugar with 8c of water for my chicken brine. Maybe the same portion? Anyone else give their fish a brine bath before grilling? Thanks!

Yep learned that one a long time ago. I think it tightens up the meat some, imparts some flavor obviously and most important for me is it stops the fishy smell (or at least cuts down on it), so it preserves. Certain fish (flounder comes to mind) really start to degrade after they come out of the water and develop that proverbial fishy smell. It's a good habit to get into !! Good post !!

and on the method, I just eyeball the salt/sugar amount, like maybe a palm full into my kitchen sink with about a gallon or so of water, enough to cover the fish. I leave it until I'm ready to cook, 15-20 minutes or so.

Comment

I got in the habit of cleaning the catch at the dock in Puget Sound, and tossing it all in a bucket of salt water for transporting to the kitchen. I've never given up the habit - I make a brine bucket for freshwater catch before I start processing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here