Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp "boil" on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp "boil" on the PBC

Has anyone tried something like this? The misses wants me to try combing raw shrimp, cut up baby potatoes and andouille sausage, and maybe some corn with some broth and butter in a foil pan and cook it up on the PBC.

I've never done it in a PBC, but similar things in a horizontal smoker and wok in a kettle. I go for a deep smoke flavor, so I stir often. I think the first few times will be trials until you get the flavor profile you want.

Comment

Never did it on my PBC but it should work fine ... after all, heat is heat. There won't be anything dripping on the coals to add that distinctive PBC flavor so you might want to add a couple of wood chunks for smoke. You could also lay a few sausages on the grate and let them cook and drip for even more flavor.

Comment

I do boils all the time on the stove. Let us know how it works out please.

Comment

Do it with the lid off and you should pick up a bit of that grill flavor.

Comment

Why not. I use my Primo for stuff like this often. I have even simmered spaghetti sauce over a hot charcoal fire with some smaller wood chunks thrown in.

When you think about it, before electricity all ovens were wood burning. That’s why kitchens were NOT part of the main house until rather recently in history. Kitchens inside the main house simply weren’t a good idea until the invention of electricity and/or the widespread use of gas (unless you cooked over the fireplace).

Anyhow give it a shot. I would put a grate rather high up in the PBC if using a butter based broth, or midway down (or even low in the cooker) for a water / old bay boil. A wood chunk or two with a loose fitting lid would work, at least I think it would. Can’t burn water so too much heat isn’t an issue.

Comment

Thanks everyone, took a lot of the advice to heart. So I ended up combining a pound of 26/30 extra large shrimp, about 3/4 of a roll of Hillshire Farms andouille sasuage cut up into "pennies," about 1 and 1/2 pounds of halved baby red potatoes, and a can of Del Monte canned corn into a foil pan with a stick of butter and enough chicken broth to cover the bottom. Once I had the PBC lit, I dropped two handfuls of Jack Daniel's whiskey barrel wood chips onto the charcoal and placed the foil pan onto the grill grate, and covered it with foil with some slits cut out. I also had the remaining 1/4 of the sausage placed on the grill grate where it could drip onto the coals. I let it cook like this for 45 minutes, removing the foil to stir the liquid every 15 minutes and replacing. After 45 minutes, I removed the 1/4 sausage link and the foil top from the pan and let it go another 15 minutes. So after just over an hour, I removed the pan from the smoker. All in all, it came out quite tasty. Only issue I'd say was that the potatoes were still not quite fork tender. Next time, I think they'll get a quick par-boil before they get added to the pan, but we scooped them out and microwaved them for 4-5 minutes afterwards and they were very tender and still kept the great flavor from the wood smoke and the cooking liquid, which I forgot to mention also had a good amount of a special Creole seasoning my wife found. This was the finished plate.
              Attached Files

Comment

• VideoWolf88
                VideoWolf88 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lid on, rebar in.

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting. The AR recipe says to cook at approximately 400 for about 25min. Your cook was about an hour. I assume because your temp was probably around 275. I wonder if you can leave the rebar out and crack the lid to get closer to 400? Maybe the potatoes would be more tender that way?

• VideoWolf88
                VideoWolf88 commented
                Editing a comment
                They probably would've. I was more worried about the shrimp getting overcooked, so I tried my best to keep the temps down.

"...the potatoes were still not quite fork tender. Next time, I think they'll get a quick par-boil before they get added to the pan..."

Or maybe start the potatoes in the PBC and then add the other ingredients when the taters are parcooked. Why dirty another pan when one will do?

Comment

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                She's pretty smart for an IowaGirl. When we boil crawfish (or anything slow enough to grab), the taters, etc go in first. After a bit, the mudbugs are sacrificed in the same pot, then all pulled at the same time.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here