Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troutman's Smoked Trout !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troutman's Smoked Trout !!

As fishing season approaches I have trout and red fish on my mind. In the meantime I like to occasionally eat local farm raised "catches" like the rainbow trout that Costco and my local market often carry. Although farmed raised brings into question responsible methods of farming them, I don't eat enough to worry about any potential problems. I do prefer my salmon fresh, but that's a whole other discussion.

We normally do our rainbow trout three ways; bread and fry, oven bake or smoke. I was in the mood for stuffed and smoked which is what I present here. So the recipe looks like this .....

Troutman's Stuffed Smoked Rainbow Trout

Course: Dinner, lunch. Main dish. Seafood

Cuisine: American

Makes: 2 Servings
    Takes: 30 minutes prep, 30 minutes cook time

Ingredients

2 medium sized 12-14 ounce whole farm raised Rainbow Trout
    1 large shallot
    4 cloves garlic
    4 ounces of lump crab meat
    1/2 cup of boxed breading (or fine grind fresh in a food processor)
    1/4 cup of Sauvingnon Blanc wine
    1 large lemon for juice
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    3 tablespoons of Tony Chachere's Seasoning (or other Cajun seasoning)
    1 tablespoon of dried dill

Stuffing

Bring a medium saucepan up to temperature and add the olive oil. Finely chop the shallot and garlic cloves and saute in the heated oil until softened. Turn down the heat and add the lump crab meat, seasoning the mixture with 1 tablespoon of the Tony C's seasoning. Gently cook while stirring for about 3-4 minutes to combine.

De-glaze the pan with the wine. Squeeze 1/2 of the lemon into the mixture. Bring the mixture back up to temperature until smooth while maintaining a fluid consistency. Simmer for about another 3-4 minutes slowly, avoid boiling.

Add the breading to the mixture and combine until it becomes a soft but not dry consistency. Adjust with more breading if the mixture does not bind and hold together. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 15 minutes.

Fish Prep

Click image for larger version  Name:	trout 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	849.7 KB ID:	654671

Rinse the fish and dry with a towel. Apply some of the seasoning to the inside of the cavities. Take the cooled mixture and stuff the cavities of the fish. The mixture should be soft and pliable and hold together within the cavity.

Rub the outside of each fish with olive oil and the remaining lemon juice as a binder. Apply the remaining seasoning along with the dried dill generously to the exteriors. Refrigerate while you prepare the smoker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	trout 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	654672

Cooking Method

1) Fire up. Prepare a grill for indirect cooking by placing about 3/4 of a chimney of pre-heated charcoal briquettes on one side of the grill’s charcoal grate or in an SNS in order to create an indirect cooking zone. Add one 4 ounce chunk of fruit wood like cherry to the coals. Do not add too much wood, fish is delicate and can't take on too much smoke.

Click image for larger version  Name:	trout 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	769.6 KB ID:	654674

Adjust the grill vents to bring the temperature to about 350°F on the indirect side. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is off and the other half is heated enough to maintain a temperature of approximately 350°F on the indirect side.

It's recommended that you cook the fish on some form of Phatmat or similar product to avoid sticking. Cooking over foil would be another option. Try to avoid cooking directly on the hot grill grates.

2) Cook the fish for 30 minutes holding your temperature as close to 350°F as possible. Fish should look crisp on the skin side and flaky and moist inside.

3) Serve. Hot off the pit with rice or your favorite sides. Enjoy !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	trout 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	654673

The crisp, smokey outer skin, moist flaky inner meat and the creamy smooth crab meat stuffing makes for a fantastic entree. We served it with basmati rice and grilled veggies...delicious !!!!

Troutman Steve is going out to wet a hook and catch some more !!! Later ....
    Last edited by Troutman; March 25, 2019, 01:12 PM.

Nice. Thanks!

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

Wowser, nice one Troutman!

Comment

Yum! Loves me some Trout!

Comment

Them thar fish look a lot bigger than 6--8 ounces. No?

Nice job! I'll be doing these next time Costco has fresh trout. The crab is a very nice touch.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Good catch thanks, must have been asleep when I wrote that. These were just under 1 pound, maybe 14 ozs.

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              De nada, Troutman Other people's "errors" jump out at me like a sore thumb, while my own all-too-frequent screw-ups escape me. I'm one sad SOB. LOL

Nice cook and thanks for the recipe.

Comment

I think I would enjoy that. I learned many years ago that fish don’t like me catching them so I have no choice but to buy it. Happy Fishing!

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Willard, they don't like me trying to catch them either, but I don't let that stop me. A cold one, a comfortable chair, a rod. Cast, sip, nap, re-bait, repeat...

• Willard
                Willard commented
                Editing a comment
                klflowers I’m glad you are able to improvise. The important thing is to come home happy. Now, when I was chasing them off I was still in high school. A couple teenagers with beer rolling down the Withlacoochee was frowned upon.

Thanks Troutman

Comment

Thank you. Looks delicious.

Comment

I was thinking the same on the fish size. Looks delicious! 🧐

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yea they were about 14 ozs., my bad.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman Just giving you grief brother!

Lookin' tasty.

Comment

Love me some rainbow trout! I haven’t had it for years though, being out here in salmon country. Grew up on rainbow trout on the east coast.

Comment

Thank you! I need to catch some specks.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can't wait to get me some specks...love 'em !!!

This recipe is, meh, for me. I mean, if you want an over-the-top out-of-this-world never-gonna-eat-this-great-again-this week-meal, then yeah, I guess this would be alright.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was kinda thinking the same...meh !!!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here