Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dover Sole question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dover Sole question

My Mom is visiting. She loves English Dover Sole. There's a restaurant near me that has Holland Dover Sole on the menu. Is this the same thing? If not, what is the difference?

Same fish, same great flesh.

Comment

Is English vs Holland prepared differently perhaps?

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually not. Name is really associated with who is doing the fishing and landing. The fish comes from the same waters of the North Sea, and is the same species. Not really sure but I’m guessing that the Netherlands has a bigger fleet and processes more.

Almost all Dover sole, and any other sole sold in the US is actually a type of flounder that is renamed to make it more appealing. I'll give you 10 to one it is not the same fish. The restaurant may not even know they are getting hosed at the market. Buyer beware. Flounder is great, but if your fishmonger is wiling to mislead you like that, what else is going on. Call a spade a spade if you ask me.

Comment

Some common sense here. If it is labelled Pacific Dover Sole, West Coast Dover Sole, or merely Dover Sole it is Microstomus pacificus, a flounder. If it is labelled Lemon Sole it is Microstomus kitt, a flounder. If you find it in the supermarket for $10 a pound, it is a flounder. If your Dover Sole in the restaurant costs $20, it is flounder. However if you buy it from reputable sources, it is marked Product of Holland, has a registered establishment number, and runs $40-80 a pound then you are most likely getting Holland Dover Sole, Solea solea. The restaurant which knows how to purchase seafood from ethical sources will also price accordingly.

And hopefully someone like Murdy’s mom will know from first bite whether it is Sole or flounder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here