Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hirshon New England Clambake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hirshon New England Clambake

THE HIRSHON CLAMBAKE

October 31, 2015The Hirshon Clambake
    Clambake Image Used Under Creative Commons License From the-cooking-of-joy.blogspot.com

Citizens, October has been one of my busiest months ever and your beloved Dictator has been slacking. Time to get back into my normal posting rhythm – and to celebrate, I’ll be giving you *3* recipes today!

Having gone to college in Massachusetts and lived in Connecticut for many years, I consider myself a connoisseur of the true New England clambake. The kind that involves an entire day of work amongst several dozen friends, lots of beer, incredible food and a sunset that will make you weep for its ruddy glory.

Most clambake recipes now involve a pot and an oven.

HERESY!!!

Even many dyed-in-the-wool New Englanders don’t know how to do a proper beach clambake. Few realize you need rocks – a LOT of them – to help the fire to achieve inferno-level radiant heat. Even fewer know you MUST use rockweed as the seaweed of choice. It has tiny bladders filled with seawater that pop and add steam to the cooking process.

I will show you, my worthy Citizens, the TRUE path to culinary glory!!! My version of the classic is staunchly New England, with a detour or two into California and the Pacific Northwest.

My recipe involves tons of fresh herbs, hot peppers and garlic, crabs (I live in California now and Dungenness crabs are fantastic!), and some Chorizo sausage as well as the classic Linguiça. My last trick – some fruitwood smoking chips for even more flavor!

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Clambakes RULE! 🙂

Allez Cuisine – JH

Equipment:

Fire extinguisher
    1 large bucket
    1 or 2 full-size shovels
    120 rocks, about the size of grapefruits
    50 hardwood logs, each about 2 feet long and 8 inches in diameter
    Heavy-duty oven mitts
    50 pounds rockweed
    Three 10-by-8-foot canvas tarps, soaked in water

A clambake is pretty much an all-day affair, so bring along a midday snack and plenty of beverages. You will also need tons of butter, bread or rolls, salt, pepper, Tabasco and spicy mustard. For dessert, bring watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, berries and other fresh fruits as well as homemade pies. In Maine, blueberry pie is pretty much mandatory.

Most public beaches prohibit fires, even if the clambake is on a private beach; ask the local fire, parks and health departments if any permits are required. Keep a fire extinguisher and a large bucket of seawater close by.

Avoid flooding your pit: Plan the clambake for low tide. To ensure the water table is low enough, dig a small, two-feet-deep test hole. If the hole is still dry after an hour, dig your pit.

Be sure to get the right-sized rocks: too small and they’ll lose their heat too quickly; too large, and they won’t heat through.

Don’t use just any seaweed: The pockets of water and air in rockweed create the necessary steam and flavor. Order it specifically from your fishmonger.

On a flat beach, dig a 6-by-4-foot pit 3 feet deep. Line the pit with 90 rocks. Dig a 2-foot-wide pit nearby, also 2 feet deep.

Using 8 logs, build a bonfire in the large pit. Over the next hour and 45 minutes, add 6 logs to the fire every 15 minutes, building the fire outwards so that it covers the base of the pit.

After the first 45 minutes, as the logs turn to coals, add 20 rocks to the fire. When the logs have completely turned to coals, after about 2 hours, shovel the 20 rocks to the sides. Leaving a 1-inch-thick layer of coals atop and between the rocks, shovel the rest of the coals into the smaller pit and extinguish with water. Add the wood chips to the main pit.

For the bake, making 30 servings:

Cheesecloth (LOTS)

4 cups sliced fresh fennel

5 cups red onion, sliced

30 fingerling potatoes, sliced

30 tablespoons thin-sliced garlic

15 green or red jalapeño chiles, diced, seeds removed

15 cups chorizo sausage, sliced

15 cups linguica sausage, sliced

15 Dungeness crabs, cut in half and legs cracked

30 live Lobsters, 1 pound each

30 pounds Manila clams

30 eggs

30 ears fresh corn, shucked

30 cups assorted fresh herbs (try fresh thyme, parsley, rosemary, or basil)

15 organic heirloom tomatoes, quartered

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

8 cups Chardonnay

2 cups bottled clam juice

1 bag fruitwood smoking chips (JH prefers apple), soaked in water for at least 1 hour

4 loaves sourdough bread, cut in thick slices

3 garlic cloves, peeled

1 cup chopped parsley

½ cup olive oil

30 sticks of butter, melted

In the meantime, cut a double layer of cheesecloth into 30 squares to hold the food. Divide the ingredients evenly among the packets in the following order: fennel, onions, potatoes, garlic, jalapenos, sausage, Dungeness crab, lobster, Manila clams, corn, eggs, fresh herbs and tomatoes. Drizzle each with olive oil. Pull up corners of cheesecloth and tie packets securely with string.

Wearing mitts, line the pit with a ½-inch-thick layer of rockweed.

Put the wine and clam juice into a small heatproof container somewhere toward the middle of the food to bring more steam and flavor to the food. Place the packets of food carefully into your clambake pit in a single layer. Top the bundles with a 1-inch-thick layer of rockweed. Fold the tarps in half lengthwise to measure 5 by 8 feet. Stack them on top of the rockweed. Weight down the edges of the top-most tarp with the remaining 10 rocks to trap the steam.

Bake for about 1 hour. When cooked, the lobsters will be bright red, the clams open, and the corn and potatoes fork-tender. Serve with melted butter. The bread is best lightly toasted over the open fire, and then rubbed with the whole cloves of peeled garlic. Garnish your bread with some chopped parsley and drizzle with olive oil.

Nice! Sounds so good.

Comment

Sounds awesome! seeing some pics of it in action on the beach would really spice things up onbthis post.

Comment

That's just too dang much work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here