Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp

I have some raw shrimp (shell on and deveined) ez peel.
    I want to grill them. Can I grill them shell on on the cool side and peel them then add spices?

Sure, but I think doing them hot and very fast will work better. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKJ7rgYuI...BdBosQ2inUzK_4

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF I'll Try Kenji's method. I always thought cooking shell on is the best flavor and I agree after trying it this way. But, I trust Kenji and his method sounds good and simple.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      What EdF said.

What do you mean the cool side. They only take a few minutes but you can cook them with the shell on. Make sure they are deviened

Comment

I'm not sure why you want to grill them shell on, then peel and season before serving? I'll admit I haven't tried this because I serve shell-on shrimp to catfish, so if you try it let us know how it turns out.

I recommend grilling shrimp on a griddle plate with the butter and seasoning - I use Lodge cast iron and am about to try a copper grill mat. I know others have steel griddles. I close the lid to add smoke flavor but only for a minute, then they're done.

Comment

I cook a fair amount of shrimp & can honestly tell you, I don’t notice a hill’s worth apocalyptic difference between shell on or off. With that said, I prefer not having the mess when eating. I recently did a batch with Aussie Honey-Ginger on the Barbie. Using my SnS I did 4 min max. They came out great. Click image for larger version  Name:	1E3F763A-243F-4135-AB49-9ECBC4B4F306.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	542452Click image for larger version  Name:	4A43978C-B4E6-4A45-91A4-740F9EE59E45.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	542453
        Last edited by FireMan; August 3, 2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m tryin to figger out what I did to earn the word apocalyptic in my write up. Spellcheck for of?

I tend to agree that leaving the shell on is the way to go when boiling shrimp, but grilling is a different story. When the shrimp are submerged, all that liquid and seasoning has a chance to work its way under the shell, which isn't the case when grilling.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Great observation!

I’ve grilled Gulf shrimp for decades. I never leave the shell on (outside of maybe the tail). It does zero for the shrimp. Now cooking whole shrimp with the head on does. There’s a ton of flavor in those heads that adds to the grilling flavor.

What I’ve always advised is to not over cook them. Watch them carefully, baste with a little butter and Italian dressing, when they turn translucent they are done. Eat up !!!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah the heads, yes there is the difference.
          BTW, all I get are gulf shrimp, for years now.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          When we were in Mass, there was a fishing coop that would bring in the Maine shrimp when they were in season. They're really small, if you're not familiar with them. We'd always boil them heads on - a real treat!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I live about 45 min from the Bay (down Lonnie Mac way !!) and we routinely buy about 40# and freeze them in 2# batches. I eat shrimp probably more than any kind of meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9D9A66B3-30FB-4C53-A2B4-707646B4F3DA.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	542550 we love this one seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/grilled-shrimp-garlic-lemon-food-lab-recipe.html
        Last edited by HawkerXP; August 3, 2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

If ya can find em, get yourself some Royal Reds!!!!! YUM!

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/th...st-royal-reds/

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are beautiful! Reminds me of a certain 4th of July party on a boat in Biloxi, with a trash can full of shrimp!

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call, smokenoob! I get these locally from an outfit that brings up fresh Gulf seafood every week. I didn't understand why they were only available frozen until I asked the owner about it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here