Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a good grilled salmon recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a good grilled salmon recipe?

I have a serious salmon hankering going on but I'm looking for something different. I typically use a simple soy sauce and brown sugar marinade and grill them skin side down.

Anyone have a favorite recipe they'd like to share?

I dry brine then coat the meat side with a black pepper mayonnaise mixture. Grill to 140 (i think) internal. Mayo prevents sticking.

Comment

• Flat Rocker
      Flat Rocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod: does smoking the salmon leave a "fishy" odor in your Blaz'n? My wife loves salmon and I'd like to try it for her, but not at the expense of the smoker smelling like fish or turning the next pork butt/brisket/etc. into something that reeks of the salmon. I've been grilling it on the Weber using a separate Grill Grate for fish and that seems to work.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've smoked a lot of fish in the BGE (which is more porous), and have never had a "fish residue" smell.

My wife has been frying/griddling them up with salt, pepper, & a little garlic powder & EVOO (which is nothing new or profound of course). Then we've become enamored with adding some Lemon Dill Aioli. It's like a fancier more gourmet cousin of tartar sauce (but w/o relish), something they'd use in a linen table cloth restaurant, at least that's what this hillbilly thinks. That or my smoked salmon recipe, which is similar but different to Meathead's schmancy salmon.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      salt,pepper,minced garlic,olive oil.I'm gonna have to try one of those linen table cloth places to see about the Aioli!

Wild sockeye is back, here is what I do.

1. Wet brine
    2. Season with a light coating of olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper, and just a hint of salt
    3. Smoke it skin down on brown paper (trick I learned from meathead’s book).

dont overdo the seasoning.

smoke low. It’s good.

Comment

THE best salmon is sous vide salmon. If you’ve got a SV just follow this from ChefSteps. The combo w the cauliflower and bean salad I’d dynamite too.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
        BBQ_Steve-O commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure this is good. Sous vide shrimp comes out perfect every time.

Stay with the soy, but add citrus (lemon, lime or orange juice) along with garlic and ginger to the marinade. Prior to grilling pat dry, salt, cracked black pepper and fresh (or dried) dill.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what u do also. Grate the garlic and ginger and I add a little brown sugar. The sugar guves it a nice light "skin" that we like.

I season salmon any number of different ways, but these are likely my most go to methods:

(Note: they all start with lightly rubbin butter over th filets)

Sea salt, lemon pepper, sometimes add smoked paprika.

Old Bay.

Homemade Cajun seasonin, or Tony Chachere's Creole.

SPG.

I set em on a piece of foil, each, an smoke em low..., then colour em up a bit, over direct.

Comment

I'm a minimalist when it comes to salmon. Just rub the filets with olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of dill. But roast them slowly over a live wood fire and let the smoke provide the flavor.

Comment

I like to sprinkle salt and smoke roast it on a dry cedar plank skin side down with a Swedish style dill mustard such as Larrupin's slathered on top. Garnish with fresh dill sprigs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41Sf5ggOs4L._SY355_.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	531582

Comment

I think the best quick grilled salmon should be simple. Favorite rub, maybe a very thin coat of mayo, maybe some dill. Grill only until it flakes. I prefer to keep it simple sometimes instead of a longer smoke. IMO salmon is good ALMOST any way you grill it.

Comment

Put Salmon, olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh ginger in baking dish let sit together for at least 20 min or up to 2 hours.
              Bank coals (or use Weber baskets) on opposite sides of kettle.
              Lay skin side down on grate between coals, cover and cook to 135*. I use peach chips for a little smoke. Mmmmmm good.

Comment

I like to do it on a soaked cedar plank. Salt and pepper, mustard, and a little brown sugar if you like. Put the plank on indirect medium-high heat on the grill for a few minutes then add the salmon. Cover in dill put the lid on and cook until done.

The other way i do regularly is meatheads schmancy hot smoked salmon.

Both are great

Comment

My favorite is simple... Johnny's season salt and pepper, then hot and fast over alder. Start with the skin side down and wait for the white fat to appear all along the layer between the skin and flesh. Then slide your spatula between the skin and flesh and flip. Cook to about 135°. That's it. Oh... and the skin? Don't toss it. Crisp it up and enjoy!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of my favorite ways also! Top with a little dab of butter just before serving. Also like "Rubbed With Love" for salmon (or a copycat mix)!

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    alder is a N.W. go to!

• BBQ_Steve-O
                    BBQ_Steve-O commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HorseDoctor Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the butter. I do that too. I'll have to try "Rubbed With Love" - Thanks!

bardsleyque That's because they grow like weeds out here! lol Actually, there's no better wood for seafood IMO. Darn good for chicken too.

This is my favorite - Brine: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup sea salt, 2 cups orange juice, 2 quarts water. Brine over night. Let dry on a rack in the fridge. Smoke either in the PBC or in my PK with a little fruit wood for about an hour or till it flakes. A little cracked pepper on top. My wife's not a salmon fan and she likes this.

Comment

The most important thing is quality wild salmon, preferably fresh. Sockeye is my favorite. I usually do a light brush of olive oil then salt and black pepper.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
                      BBQ_Steve-O commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is that Diablo Lake by any chance?

• Red Man
                      Red Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, that’s Diablo lake. I just went hiking there last weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here