Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Kept Secret: Smoked Spanish Mackerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Kept Secret: Smoked Spanish Mackerel

Hi guys,

We got into the Spanish Mackerel last night as they were in the sound chasing pogies in big numbers! After doing some fresh filets on the grill very simply yesterday, I took the other half and dedicated them to smoking. After a little research, I decided to do a wet brine with filtered water, sea salt, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, garlic, and light brown sugar. After brining over night, I let the filets set up on a perforated grill pan to drip dry in the fridge for a few hours then added to the smoker at 200 degrees as my ribs and chicken were finishing up. I decided to stick with the apple wood I had going for the other meats as it is a very mild smoke and wouldn't overpower the fish. This was a great decision. After 90 minutes, the filets were firm to the touch with a phenomenal texture.

I served 1/4 of the filets straight up with a little grilled lemon juice and then made the remaining 3/4 into a delicious smoked mackerel dip with a little cream cheese, onion, yellow bell pepper, chili powder, paprika, minced garlic, cumin and fresh cilantro. We also had a batch of incredibly mild garden fresh jalapenos, so I decided to try out smoked mackerel bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers and they were an absolute show stopper!

I expected a deeper color on the fish, but the texture was perfect, so I pulled them at 90 minutes and the flavor was incredible.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2012.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.18 MB ID:	526460
    Mother-in-law with a platter of bacon-wrapped smoked mackerel jalapeno poppers!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.85 MB ID:	526461Everything tastes better when you're cooking with a view like this!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2017.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.99 MB ID:	526462

Wow, what a cook. For more color, you might want to cook a tad hotter. That might do it. I love mackerel, but it is tough to find up north. I have to go to Minneapolis to find it at a seafood supply store. Apple wood sounds like it was a pretty good choice, I wonder if something like pecan might be something worth trying as well.

Oh.....and that view!!!!!!!!! Spectacular!

Happy Fourth! It looks like you are off to a great start.

Comment

Beautiful pictures. I just ate and this made me hungry for fresh fish.

Comment

Absolutely. I think if I was doing this as a stand alone cook, I'd do alder wood or even pecan at ~210-225. I was dealing with a little falling temps at the end of a long cook on the ribs, ect and honestly wasn't expecting much out of the fish. It was definitely a pleasant surprise that I hope to replicate soon! Heading out tomorrow for flounder, trout and reds, but hope to get a few more macks before the holiday week ends.

Have a great holiday, boys!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Alder would be a great choice. Why didn't I think of that? LOL. pmorse36

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Mackerel is a very fine fish for smoking - one of my favorites, anyway!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          What EdF said :-)

I caught a bunch of king mackerel recently and did wet brine then smoked em. Ate some as were and then shredded the rest for fish cakes. Amazing. The 4 other people i was on fhe boat with wanted nothing to do with them.

that does lool like a great cook!

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
          I caught a bunch of king mackerel recently and did wet brine then smoked em. Ate some as were and then shredded the rest for fish cakes. Amazing. The 4 other people i was on fhe boat with wanted nothing to do with them.

that does lool like a great cook!
          Unfortunately, that's a common attitude towards these fish and towards wild game in general. It's really unfortunate in a lot of ways, which is why we need to promote and share the awesome food we are able to make with it! Glad you had a great trip! Where were you>

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Went out of the outer banks in nc to the gulfstream. Between the 5 of us we got almost 300lb of tuna. Mostly blackfin but some really nice yellowfin in there too. Plus the mackerel. Was a great two day trip. Jigging for tuna is a trip, exhausting.

Mackerel is so underrated. I love it. That looks like a great cook! Where were you? I have seen a lot of views like that in North and South Carolina.

Comment

Spanish macks a lot more mild than kings. I smoke Mahi frequently (live in south Florida). I agree on hotter temps for more color. Also increase the brown sugar in your brine. For fish I barely monitor the kettle temp, keep it reasonable, 1 chunk of apple, 60-90 minutes.
            i suggest turning those Mack’s to dip, cream cheese+lemon juice+green onions. Eat it on a cracker with a pickled jalapeños

Comment

And if you get the opportunity to catch the bluefish run, smoke that too!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you tried it smoked? There are a bunch of places around that you can get a small tub of smoked bluefish pate / dip when they're in season. That will give you an idea if you haven't tried it that way.

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                What EdF said!!! Love smoked bluefish pate!!! HOnly problem is it's hard to find bluefish in central IA!!!

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                HorseDoctor You need a trip to Connecticut in the early fall. Mystic Seaport, charter fishing etc!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C1DCFAD-718B-47F1-98B5-ED3E39EBD999.jpeg
Views:	7425
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	526770 This was the haul from the trip. Caught almost everything on day 2. We had some rough ass seas on day 1 and it was slim pickings.

Comment

That sir was an excellent job of curing and smoking that fish. Also, like others, loved that final picture, scenes like that make life worth livin

Comment

Mackerel are awesome! I was lucky to grow up in a part of Wales where we could fish for our own (I had a 14footer with 15hp mercury), nothing better on a BBQ than fresh caught and fillited mackerel, hope you have a great day!

P.S. on the view..... Here was my view back then! Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1530735192304.jpg
Views:	7167
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	526954

Comment

Just wondering, do you cook to a particular internal temperature, or just go by time and firmness?

Comment

• pmorse36
                      pmorse36 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just went by firmness and time. I wanted it to have a little give to it still so it didn't dry out too much.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here