Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Kept Secret: Smoked Spanish Mackerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Kept Secret: Smoked Spanish Mackerel

Hi guys,

We got into the Spanish Mackerel last night as they were in the sound chasing pogies in big numbers! After doing some fresh filets on the grill very simply yesterday, I took the other half and dedicated them to smoking. After a little research, I decided to do a wet brine with filtered water, sea salt, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, garlic, and light brown sugar. After brining over night, I let the filets set up on a perforated grill pan to drip dry in the fridge for a few hours then added to the smoker at 200 degrees as my ribs and chicken were finishing up. I decided to stick with the apple wood I had going for the other meats as it is a very mild smoke and wouldn't overpower the fish. This was a great decision. After 90 minutes, the filets were firm to the touch with a phenomenal texture.

I served 1/4 of the filets straight up with a little grilled lemon juice and then made the remaining 3/4 into a delicious smoked mackerel dip with a little cream cheese, onion, yellow bell pepper, chili powder, paprika, minced garlic, cumin and fresh cilantro. We also had a batch of incredibly mild garden fresh jalapenos, so I decided to try out smoked mackerel bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers and they were an absolute show stopper!

I expected a deeper color on the fish, but the texture was perfect, so I pulled them at 90 minutes and the flavor was incredible.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	8217
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	526460
    Mother-in-law with a platter of bacon-wrapped smoked mackerel jalapeno poppers!

Name:	IMG_2018.jpg
Views:	7464
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	526461 Everything tastes better when you're cooking with a view like this!

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	7452
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	526462

Wonderful cook, thanks fer includin me!

Comment

Get to the Coast and we'd love to have you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here